Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have found broad information on this board regarding my current issue but I guess I'm more here for confirmation above anything else.

I have a Z620 Motherboard SP# 708614-001, AS# 618264-002 which i am hearing from multiple sources, supports v2 CPU's.

I am (attempting) plugging in an Intel E5-2695 v2

RAM im attempting to use is G. Skill 4GB sticks 1333 mhz NON ECC REGISTERED

And a EVGA GPU I 100% know works.

500w PSU

The issue at hand is I turn the system on with absolutely no signal to the monitor, and an eventual wind-up of basically every fan in the system. Solid blue light on the light labeled "CR18". I have seen this issue discussed.

Could this even remotely be a RAM issue? My understanding was the 620's can use regular RAM. Not sure.

the big one: Can this board version (SP# 708614-001, AS# 618264-002) have a BIOS that's still not flashed for v2 CPUS?

Is that even possible?

And I guess just to be double sure, can ANYTHING else cause the black monitor with fan-wind up issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I am on my 3rd motherboard here from eBay and the restocking fees are making this project substantially more costly than expected.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

This motherboard has been extensively discussed here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z620-Workstatio...

It appears you need a V2 motherboard as discussed by "SDH" and also Brian1965 who provides a link to the support site for the 620

Good Luck!

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I have read through this one, and read through posts from years ago. 

As I said, all of those claimed the #'s on the motherboard I have indicated v2 CPUs would work. 

The problem is I cannot go into the BIOS to check the block date because the system doesnt even POST. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, I thought you were able to post.  After looking here I do not see anything wrong with your ram if you follow the guide of using the black sockets first.

There could be a bios problem as version 3.65 was released to allow "error handleing" of v2 xeons as listed in history;htm

That file is included in the firmware download sp100699.exe

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-z620-workstation/5225037?ssfFlag=true&sk...

There were over 30 bios releases for the Z620.

I have several z400 while older, I noticed that HP still updates its bios occasionally which is nice.

HP Recommended

Oh it could be the black sockets on the RAM. Didnt do that initially. Will try.

HP Recommended

go to the business forum, use the "SEARCH" feature for "z620 boot block date" "SDH" has made numerous posts on how to tell a v1/v2 motherboard by the bios date this method is the definitive method of id'ing the revision

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/downloads/z620_memory_configurations.pdf

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/how-to-find-a-z620...

The critical feature of the z620 mainboard is the 2013 "Bootblock Date".  On Ebahhh, these boards usually have two serial numbers: for example: 619559-001 or 618264-001 plus the important one: 708614-001.  The 61XXXX corresponds to the 2011 Bootblock (= E5 1st Version), the  708614 = E5 v2, and the two numbers together means that the 708614 board will go where a 61XXXX went before.

HP Recommended

I have now tried a (SR0L0) INTEL XEON E5-2690 (v1, a v1 cpu) with a combination of ECC RAM and Regular. Same problem.

Instant Solid blue light labeled CR18 and the whole system is non-responsive. 

Does anyone know of any other problem that could cause this? Because it is undoubtedly not the CPU.

I dont have certain fans plugged in. Just the CPU fan. And there is a mini ATX socket on the top left that is vacant. 

I feel like the board would still POST and tell me the fans are disconnected though, so i am really at a loss here...

HP Recommended

In looking at the revision history, i read the following

Version 3.95
Updates Intel processor microcode to 0x42E for Ivy Bridge-EP processors, 0x718 for Sandy Bridge-EP C2/M1 processors and 0x61F for Sandy Bridge-EP C1/M0 processors.

It appears your E5-2690  is Sandy Bridge Ep so your bios may need to be at level 3.95 or higher.

HTH

HP Recommended

so its safe to assume 2 CPUs later and blue lights that the board I have is version 1 then?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.