Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z820 workstation with a 1125W PSU. 

It has 2 SSDs and a mechanical HDD.

I recently  bought an NVidia Tesla K80  GPU compute card, and an 6-to-8 pin  power supply adapter to connect it to the auxiliary internal power supply plugs (which are all 6-pins). See the attached photo to have a clear idea of the setup.

I followed the steps depicted in this doc: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01816031.pdf

Nevertheless, when I turn the workstation on, the power led turns red and flashes 4 times, which -according to the manual - means a PSU overload. What am I doing wrong?

The manual says that the 1125W PSU supports up to 2 300W cards - the K80 is one, I don't have others. Why an overload then?

IMG_20221005_185306.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@PaoloStefan,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Your Nvidia Tesla K80 GPU requires one PCIe 8-pin power supply cable according to NVIDIA Tesla K80 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database, and this card has a max power draw rated at 300 watt.

Please be reminded that a single 6-pin PCIe power connector can provide up to 75 watt, whereas a PCIe 8-pin power connector can provide up to 150 watt -which is what your GPU requires.

First of all, I want to make sure you are using a dual PCIe 6-pin female to a single PCIe 8-pin male GPU power adapter cable to adequately power your graphics card (the 6-pin PCIe power connectors should preferably be plugged into separate PSU power banks), such as this example: Amazon.com: BLUEXIN Dual 6-Pin Female to 8-Pin Male GPU Power Adapter Cable 0.65ft/20cm : Electronic....  If I misunderstood your adapter cable setup -you did use the adapter cable I described, I do apologize.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.