Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840 Workstation
Linux

Hello, I bought a Z840 workstation and need help with downgrading BIOS from version 2.62 to 1.62. I was able to install version 2.54 but it rejected to install version 1.62. I don't have any BIOS versions between 1.62 and 2.54.
I have another Z840 workstation with BIOS version 1.62. There is a quite old software (2016) installed on OpenSuse SLES12 Linux doing some calculations. It started experiencing some intermittent issues. Reloading software and replacing all hard drives, RAID controller and GPU did not fix the issue related to one very specific type of calculations. Software does not work properly on the workstation with BIOS versions 2.54 - 2.62. That's why I need to downgrade BIOS to version 1.62.
Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello.

HP has implemented a restriction on BIOS downgrades in certain versions, which is why you cannot downgrade to earlier versions.

Downgrade to an earlier version would require physically attaching the BIOS chip to a programmer device and using the extracted BIOS binary file from the v1.62 HP Softpaq. I recommend contacting local electronics repair shops for this kind of service.

HP Recommended

Thank you Jupitero for your prompt response and useful information.

Can please also help me with a direct link to download version 1.62 or any other versions between 1.62 and 2.54? I have never used the HP Softpaq.

HP Recommended

Hello again.

Softpaq just refers to the software update packages that HP offers. Drivers, firmware, software and such. Usually named SPxxxxxx.exe for Windows packages. When you run the exe, the wizard will ask whether you want to install it or extract the files only.

BIOS 2.31 is available from this link.

HP seems to have removed every other older versions of BIOS from their file servers, which means you need to go to 3rd party file mongers which may or may not provide viruses as well.

Here is a direct download link to the 1.62 version. I recommend extracting the file contents with 7-Zip or WinRAR. If the direct download link does not work, go to this page first to initiate the download.

Also, I would like to change my first reply considerably:

I recommended a professional service to flash the BIOS chip, but you can also try the Fail-safe BootBlock Recovery Mode which is implemented in your Z840 workstation. Please read carefully this old (but good) post about this feature.

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you so much again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.