Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HPE h8-1010pt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I hope you may be able to help me; I would like to upgrade my GT 440 3GB card for something more recent as I enjoy games on occasion, but I’m uncertain of what are my options. (I was thinking perhaps a GTX 1050 or a RX 460, but I’ve been told they may not be compatible?).

I’ve an HPE h8-1010Pt,   product number A0R04EA#AB9,    with a 2AB5 motherboard.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AA42,

Thank you for the product number.  Your HP pavilion HPE 8-1010PT (portugal) was product release of  JUL 2011, so it does indeed have the Legacy BIOS.  The newer UEFI vBIOS card would not function.  The hybrid concepts that @AtBo referenced can be studied here.

What bothers me are 2 factors. 

1) The processor is an i-7 2600 and it's performance will be a problem. As you said some minor interest in gaming, I would strongly suggest you go to Game Debate, and do the "Can I Run It" module against your game list.  It will explain Processor (CPU), RAM, and Graphic (GPU) card variables. No sense upgrading if the CPU is too slow.

2) Then I would go here, and plug in the present card, and the new card to get performance ratings. Be aware (IMHO) the the EVGA GTX 660 is the best choice, but you need a Power Supply in the 550W to 600W range.  Personally, I like the Corsair CX600 for an HP build.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Some good information on the motherboard and graphics:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-GPU-with-Pegatron-2AB5...

This is a little bit dated (2014), but I am not sure of the manufacture date of your PC, so this information might apply.

Here is more:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h9-1011ru-Phoeni...

Apparently, newer cards will have a UEFI BIOS that may not be compatible with the BIOS for your PC.  You might check to see what kind of BIOS your PC has.   Apparently there are some 750Ti cards that support legacy BIOS.  If you search long enough on Newegg or Amazon, you should be able to find something or at least I would think so...

HP Recommended

@AA42,

Thank you for the product number.  Your HP pavilion HPE 8-1010PT (portugal) was product release of  JUL 2011, so it does indeed have the Legacy BIOS.  The newer UEFI vBIOS card would not function.  The hybrid concepts that @AtBo referenced can be studied here.

What bothers me are 2 factors. 

1) The processor is an i-7 2600 and it's performance will be a problem. As you said some minor interest in gaming, I would strongly suggest you go to Game Debate, and do the "Can I Run It" module against your game list.  It will explain Processor (CPU), RAM, and Graphic (GPU) card variables. No sense upgrading if the CPU is too slow.

2) Then I would go here, and plug in the present card, and the new card to get performance ratings. Be aware (IMHO) the the EVGA GTX 660 is the best choice, but you need a Power Supply in the 550W to 600W range.  Personally, I like the Corsair CX600 for an HP build.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@AtBo and @wb2001,

Thank you for your quick response! You have given me much to consider: :generic:

@AtBo, I checked your indications and found the MSI 750ti very interesting

@wb2001, I’ve followed your advice and checked my (short) list of potential games and apparently both CPU and Ram are, thankfully, fine; CPU and RAM seems to perform (surprisingly) reasonably well, and only the current  graphic card is clearly outdated, but I should be able to run them  with medium to medium-high settings with an upgraded card.

Next, I followed your advice and compered my current card and the 660 (and also the 750ti that @AtBo kindly suggested); I must say, I’m impressed with the 660 performance, but I’m a bit apprehensive with the power demand (140w) and requirement of a new PSU, but mostly with the power demand. The 750ti seems to have significant lower performance but also significant lower power consumption, but I’m also unsure if the MSI 750ti is compatible, (reasons follow), so there is that also to ponder.

I confess wasn’t aware of the specific HP page with the specs of my PC and there I noticed that in it is indicated an IPISB-CH2 (Chicago) motherboard, I’m assuming that to be a different designation for the 2AB5 motherboard? (I got the 2AB5 using the HP Support Assistant).

I’m asking because while I was checking for game compatibility I found a site that indicated, among other things, graphic card compatibility with that motherboard ( here ) but no correspondent data pertaining the 2AB5, (that I could find). Curiously, The while 660ti is there as expected,  the 750ti is not, but surprisingly the RX 460 is… and now that got me confused.

HP Recommended

Yes, looks like you are on the right track to have concerns about the compatibility issue:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/new-graphic-card-EVGA-Geforce-gt...

750 Ti seems to be working on your board for some and not for others.  I do believe your board is the same thing as the Chicago board at this point, but I am not 100% sure.  At any rate, you will absolutely need a card that supports legacy BIOS, no question about that.  On the performance of the card, I have seen some gamers use the 750 Ti on games up to about 2014 I guess.  After that, it's dated for use I guess would be correct to say.

Beyond that, your question about power usage is important and I should think will dictate what direction you ultimately go.  Think that through and maybe you will have a clear idea of what you will have to "spend" power-wise for your card.  That's a really good place to start.

If you're not into AMD, that's fine, but the r series cards can be very good.  You may find a broader set of choices of hybrid cards from AMD, idk.  LOL, I have an r7 240 that Passmarks around 1000 and uses only 35 watts.  Power usage with the r series scales up dramatically, but the 240 is a pretty interesting card in that niche.  I do like the performance, although it wouldn't suffice for games by any means.

HP Recommended

AA42:  Check Windows system information and see if you can get the exact make of your motherboard to be sure on this issue.  It's hard to know what to believe without knowing which board you have.  CPU-z should do the trick if you can't find information in Windows...

HP Recommended

@ATBo and @wb2001,

Well, I took some time to try to find out some more about the options; it seems the only safe options are indeed the 600s series, as @wb2001 kindly indicated. I’ve read the conflicting reports about the 750. The RX 460 apparently does not work with the 2AB5 motherboard either, at least not in all cases. I’ll have to consider carefully the 660 but I’m a bit concerned with the power consumption.

@ATBo,

I concerning the BIOS information couldn’t find anything relevant, but I did use the CPU-Z you advised, (thanks!), and it confirmed that is a 2AB5, no reference to  Chicago. Since apparently they are both from Pegatron and share, (as far as I could tell), the same specs, they may indeed be a variant of the same board, or not.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you both for your help, it was much appreciated. :generic:

HP Recommended

You're welcome and good luck with your choice of new cards.  You will find the one for you :)...

HP Recommended

@AA42,

Your reply was very thoughtful, and concise.  The best solution for Legacy is still what I mentioned.   The Corsair CX600 will provide the necessary power, and still have a slight reserve.  The explanation is all about power curves, efficiency, and ratings.  Hopefully your part of the world can provide the PSU and GPU.

@AtBo,

Thanks for your comments. It was very helpful.  I was glad to assist.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.