Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion p6-2005is
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I wish to replace the graphics card in my pavilion p6-2005is.

The current card is working, but I need to replace it.

I bough a Asus GT 1030 Low Profile 2GB GDDR5 card and tried to install it.

When the card is installed. Only the first boot blue screen appear and then on beep.

In this situation I am unable to access the bios menus.

When trying to boot in legacy mode after disabling the uefi option, I get a black screen and 6 beeps.

I tried to upgrade the power supply from 300W to 600W - didn't change anything.

I tried to update the bios to the last version available on HP site. 7.16 Rev. A - didn't change anything.

The onboard connector is working. When returning the original card everything works.

I tried to insert the new card in some other computers, including some older pavilion - it works.

I heard that some HP motherboard have white list of new hardware. Is that true? If so, where can I find it?

What more can I try to make it work?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@YaronH, welcome to the forum.

The reason the video card is not working is, it is not compatible with the BIOS.  The GT 1030 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your computer was released in September, 2011.  I suggest that you contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can help you.  They may have a VBIOS update for the card.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I will try that, however, as I was writing, I tried to use it with an even older hp pavilion and it worked fine.

That suggests that it’s not the problem root cause.

HP Recommended

@YaronH, this is strange!  I can't give you a good reason why it would work with an older HP computer.  This does suggest, however, that there is another incompatibility with the newer HP computer.  I would contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can give you some ideas.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.