Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
compaq elite 8100 cmt

Hi,

I'm new here so correct me if I have done something wrong

Im here for asking if someone know if my pc (compaq elite 8100 cmt) wil handle an Asus gtx 950 mini, 8gb ddr3 upgrade?

I think the psu is very old. it has not even have a 24 pin power connector. or extra external cables for pgu, or other components

my specs:
i7-870
320W psu

Need a GPU and RAM to work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@daim1, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you have to do is check to see if your motherboard has UEFI or Legacy/standard BIOS.  I believe that it is Legacy.  The GTX 950 requires UEFI.  You can't upgrade the BIOS to UEFI.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@daim1, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you have to do is check to see if your motherboard has UEFI or Legacy/standard BIOS.  I believe that it is Legacy.  The GTX 950 requires UEFI.  You can't upgrade the BIOS to UEFI.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

What about a gtx750? do I need UEFI too?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information. @daim1.

@daim1 wrote:

What about a gtx750? do I need UEFI too?

Yes, the GTX 750's require UEFI in the motherboard.  The last cards that don't require UEFI are the GTX 660/670 series.

HP Recommended

Tried to plug the gtx950 yesterday. it seems like it work, I got something on the screen at least. 

But now I got another problem. I can't get internet connection. I have tried cable, and WiFi USB adapter. None of them gave me connection. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

looks like it work out.
And why i didn't get internet, was because i didn't have the network driver.

HP Recommended

Good for you, @daim1.  I am glad that things are working for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.