Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion hpe h8-1020
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hello guys i have a hp pavilion hpe h8-1020 and im looking to upgrade to a nvidia gtx 950 is it compatibile, do i need to upgrade the power supply?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is one unknown specification for your motherboard that will prevent you from installing a PCIe x16 3.0 graphics card. The 3.0 cards are only backwards compatible with PCIe x16 2.0 slots. Your motherboard may have a PCIe x16 1.0 slot. None of the options below will work in your PC if you have PCIe x16 version 1.0.

The Radeon HD 6570, that is an option at purchase, is a PCIe x16 2.0 card. You may have a 2.0 slot. It is unclear when looking at the HP specs for your PC.

I had an HD 6570. You could not install drivers from AMD with HP's version of this card. You had to use HP drivers. It is possible that this card is not a 2.0 card even though the mainstream version is a 2.0 card. One can only guess.

MSI is rolling out hybrid Nvidia cards soon. Hav'nt seen anything tangible yet. Nvidia is slowly releasing 1000 series cards that require less power. Maybe some OEM's will also include hybrid versions that will work on your PC shortly.

The 900 series Nvidia graphics cards require UEFI BIOS.

Your PC has a legacy BIOS.

You have a 300 watt power supply. You will have to upgrade the power supply to run an AMD card and are meeting the bare minimum if you can install a Gt 640 GDDR5 card.

You may be able to install (you need a PCIe x16 2.0 slot) Nvidia 600 series cards or look at the hybrid AMD cards by Sapphire.

The AMD cards are longer and require larger power supplies.

You have to verify that you have the power and room to install either graphics card. The cards are also double slot cards. You'll have to verify you can install a double slot card. Again, you need a PCIe x16 2.0 slot on the motherboard.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is one unknown specification for your motherboard that will prevent you from installing a PCIe x16 3.0 graphics card. The 3.0 cards are only backwards compatible with PCIe x16 2.0 slots. Your motherboard may have a PCIe x16 1.0 slot. None of the options below will work in your PC if you have PCIe x16 version 1.0.

The Radeon HD 6570, that is an option at purchase, is a PCIe x16 2.0 card. You may have a 2.0 slot. It is unclear when looking at the HP specs for your PC.

I had an HD 6570. You could not install drivers from AMD with HP's version of this card. You had to use HP drivers. It is possible that this card is not a 2.0 card even though the mainstream version is a 2.0 card. One can only guess.

MSI is rolling out hybrid Nvidia cards soon. Hav'nt seen anything tangible yet. Nvidia is slowly releasing 1000 series cards that require less power. Maybe some OEM's will also include hybrid versions that will work on your PC shortly.

The 900 series Nvidia graphics cards require UEFI BIOS.

Your PC has a legacy BIOS.

You have a 300 watt power supply. You will have to upgrade the power supply to run an AMD card and are meeting the bare minimum if you can install a Gt 640 GDDR5 card.

You may be able to install (you need a PCIe x16 2.0 slot) Nvidia 600 series cards or look at the hybrid AMD cards by Sapphire.

The AMD cards are longer and require larger power supplies.

You have to verify that you have the power and room to install either graphics card. The cards are also double slot cards. You'll have to verify you can install a double slot card. Again, you need a PCIe x16 2.0 slot on the motherboard.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

i also have a asus essentio m51ac, the hard drive is broken and i plan on fixing it, could i put a gtx 950,960, or 970. it has a 350 psu 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am not familiar with Asus systems.

Please see the specs for this system here.

It supports PCIe x16 2.1 graphics cards.

I can't determine if this system has a UEFI BIOS.

Contact Asus or visit Asus' forums for additional information.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.