Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a hp z820 motherboard. I started the assembly project. 
There is no power supply psu hp z820. I want to replace it with atx source.
but don't know what to do. Can you help me make it.
I have found power supply results for hp z420, hp z620 .. and no hp z820.
Summary of data I have the diagram as shown. This is not true. Looking forward to the help
The power supplys are different, I bought a 1125w. The main differences are that the Z800 has 5v standby (5VSB) and Z820 11v, making it incompatible  with all ATX power supplys of market. The power supply starts without even being connected to the motherboard, which means that it PS_ON pin is unlike ATX it shuts down the source, would be a PS_OFF.
I measure the voltages of 3 connectors (C1, C2 and C3), below are the outputs, they were numbered by looking at the front of connectors, left to right:

C1

1 |  2  |    3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9 |  10 | 11  | 12  |
-12V |  X  | 11Vsb | 12V | 12V |  X  | 12v | 12v | GND|  X  | GND | 12V |
 GND |  S  | 12V   | GND | GND |  X  | GND | GND | GND|  X  | GND | 12V |

C2

1  |  2  |  3  |   4 |   5 |   6 |   7 |   8 |   9 |
 GND | GND | GND | GND | GND | GND | GND | GND | GND |
 12V | 12V | 12V | 12V | 12V | 12V | 12V | 12V | 12V |

C3

1  |   2 |   3 |   4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10 | 11  | 12  |
   S | 12V | 12V |  12V | 12V | 12V | 12v | 12v |  S  | 12V | 12V |  S  |
 GND | GND | GND |  X   | GND | GND | GND | X   | GND | GND | GND | 12V |

X - missing pin
S - unknown signal pin, there are 4 of them, three of them should be the PS-OFF, PSU_ID, PWR_OK, the last i have no idea.

Before you can connect the following cables are necessary:

HP Z820 Memory and CPU Power Cable New 647111-001 - cpu and memory power.
HP Z820 Motherboard and ODD Power Cable Assembly 647108-001 - power the board/memory fans.
HP Z820 Power Button with Speaker New 644320-005 - do not know if the power button is the same as the z800. It has a great chance of being equal!

If someone buys the cables please share the pinout!

From the maintenance guide was possible to extract the following information:

C1 - Has three SATA power connectors (D1, D2 and D3), 2 IDE (D4 and D5) and a HDD bay (H1) these are not important, it what matters is the P1 output that goes to motherboard .
C2 - Is just three outputs PCI-standard and strength so it is an easy out to do.
C3 - Are the connectors P2, P3 and P4 that feed both CPU and memory.

After we get the pinout of these connectors, will be possible to connect the card to the original source. If we discover the function of the mistery pins I think it will be possible to make changes to connect to a common  ATX power supply.

Sorry the English, automatic translation!

the 1125w ps is rated at 1275w at us line voltage. 115v-127v ac

if you're in Japan, at 100vac then it is rated at 1125W

you don't "need" an adapter...let me explain...

the first 6 pins of your 8 pin block on your graphics card match with the 6 pins on the power cable.  this is a design intent of the 8pin connector, that you an plug a 6pin power connector into it  its actually 6+2 the additional 2 is an additional sense wire and an additional ground wire..  each of the connectors are already rated for 18A each, so with 2 connected its capable of 36A or 432W.  if you look at the photo below it shows on the 6 pin connector that pin to is not occupied in the 6 in spec, however, almost universally power connectors have 12v on this line on the 8 ppin connectors.

using an adapter instead of just plunging it into the first 6 pins of your 8 pin jack directly is not going to increase the maximum power available to the card. in fact, it could provide a failure point if the wires are to thin on the adapter, or, the adapter was poorly assembled

You can use a 6pin to 8pin adapter if it makes you feel better ..  but be very careful where you source it, some have very thin wires. 

**{{ When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! ]]**

18 pin.jpg24pin-to-18pin-Hp-z420-Z620.1.jpgHTB1H5_eOFXXXXXAaXXXq6xXFXXXj (1).jpgHTB13WuZOFXXXXXxaFXXq6xXFXXXi (1).jpgPCIe_pinout.pngTB2CmGbmIjI8KJjSsppXXXbyVXa_!!13972123.jpgthe
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Zhoo, congratulations!

I also bought z820 motherboard and I am looking for pinouts of this cable. Can you get it?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I bought an atx power cable adapter on the Chinese commercial site. and I am preparing to do it for my projectI bought itI bought it

HP Recommended

Zhoo, congratulations!

I also bought z820 motherboard and I am looking for pinouts of this cable. Can you get it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.