Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
CompaqPresario SR5233WMDesktop
Microsoft Windows Vista

Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC     Windows Vista Home Premium

Hi, I can't locate a good posting that explained a method to reduce high cpu usage. At that time, I learned my pc cpu noise was from the Windows Update program.  (I forget which site, maybe not on HP site)   The method explained using "Task Manager", then "Processes", then clicking a svchost.exe showing a lot of cpu usage. But from there I forget the instructions. In the past, I ultimately discovered WUD was the problem especially that it wasn't even working anymore on my computer. I merely Stopped the program.  But I don't recall how I got from Task Manager to Wind.Update.

Would anyone know this method?  Because now some other program is causing high cpu and loud noise and fan use.

I do notice sometimes that using software of Google chrome or AOL cause lots of usage. Because when I close one of those, the noise/cpu goes away. But I need to use those programs, so how to lower cpu?

A note:  computer doesn't overheat. It is also all clean.  And wouldn't be a hard drive issue. All checked out.

Anyone know about this?

Much appreciated.

Massachusetts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HC_PC

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

Regarding Windows Update, stopping the program from running using Task Manager only halts it.  Sooner or later, it will automatically restart and you will have to do that all over again.

IF you enter "Services" (without the quotes) in the Start area, this will bring up a list of Services.  IF you scroll down though that list, you will eventually find Windows Update.  When you doulbe-click that, it will open a dialogue box which will allow you to Stop the service (if it is running) and then you can change the startup option to Disable.  This will prevent Windows Update from running again.

NOTE: I personally do NOT advise disabling Windows Update, but that is your choice.

As to CPU Usage, you are stuck -- there is nothing you can do.  When you launch a Web browser, that is going to ramp up CPU usage because your PC then has a lot of work to do, and there is simply no way around that.

Also, more and more of the most commonly used Browsers are not supporting Vista anymore, so you're going to run out of options in the near future if you continue to rely on using Vista.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@HC_PC

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

Regarding Windows Update, stopping the program from running using Task Manager only halts it.  Sooner or later, it will automatically restart and you will have to do that all over again.

IF you enter "Services" (without the quotes) in the Start area, this will bring up a list of Services.  IF you scroll down though that list, you will eventually find Windows Update.  When you doulbe-click that, it will open a dialogue box which will allow you to Stop the service (if it is running) and then you can change the startup option to Disable.  This will prevent Windows Update from running again.

NOTE: I personally do NOT advise disabling Windows Update, but that is your choice.

As to CPU Usage, you are stuck -- there is nothing you can do.  When you launch a Web browser, that is going to ramp up CPU usage because your PC then has a lot of work to do, and there is simply no way around that.

Also, more and more of the most commonly used Browsers are not supporting Vista anymore, so you're going to run out of options in the near future if you continue to rely on using Vista.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much WAWood for taking time to respond, and so promptly.

I guess I've been able to disable Windows Update altogether in the past and it remains disabled.

And I guess Vista is slowing going.  It currently runs very well on my pc except for high cpu usage and fan noise (which comes and goes throughout when in use of pc)... mostly when online.  (this is my main work computer which is a mix of online and offline)

I really don't look forward to the upgrading of Windows. So time consuming.  It is really an awful process and you lose all the software programs that took years to acquire.  You think microsoft would create a better way to upgrade without losing so much.  I imagine many would disagree with me.

But thank you very much. I have liked my HP Compaq computer.  : )

Best.

HP Recommended

@WAWood and @HC_PC,

It actually worse that you imagined, as Vista should not be updating.

End of extended support was April 11, 2017      Source page

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001

Hey, thanks much for the heads-up about Vista!

I thought MS was still doing security updates, but I guess not.

All the more reason to STOP using Vista!!

HP Recommended

Yes, I have not been downloading Win.Updates since late Fall 2016 and I disabled it altogether. So any others since then wouldn't be coming through if they wanted to.  Otherwise WU would keep trying to update and use cpu with noise, and going nowhere. So it's disabled.

I have another question...  If I open Win.Update Stand Alone tool when I want to download something in particular from the past, will the tool work at microsoft catalogue site and then update computer program even that Vista Updates from microsoft have stopped?

Thank you again.

M

HP Recommended

Sorry, I have another question since I'm now having difficulty installing the downloads from Microsoft Update Catalog.  The "search for updates" on the "WUstandAlone" keeps searching.

Question:  Should "windows update" feature be turned off completely ("Never Check For Updates")?  

Or should Windows Update setting be "Install Updates Automatically" ?

Is better to make the WU settings at Control Panel/Windows Updates/Never Update, AND/OR thru  Services.msc/windowsupdate ....  ?

I appreciate this very much.

----------------

HP Compaq Presario PC    Vista Home Premium  32bit  SP2

HP Recommended

@HC_PC,

You can perform an in-place upgrade to WIN 7 for less than $26.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello WB2001--

The program's description includes statement--  "When upgrading from Home editions of Vista you can keep your files, programs and settings in place." --   

Is that possible?  keep "programs" too?

I do happen to have the Win.7 Ultimate program disc.  Have loaded it to a couple of laptops and works well.

Of course I had to upload all the programs and windows updates, etc. too.  But they are not my main working computers.

But to do this on my precious business desktop computer... scary.

I'd like to look into this suggestion you make.  It's tempting.

THanks so much!

-----------------------------

Is it possible to know, when using "Microsoft Catalogue" site and the Windows Update Standalone Installer, SHOULD WINDOWS UPDATES program on my computer with Vista be set at "Automatic" or "Never Check for Updates" ? (even that we all know updates for Vista ended in April 2017)

HP Recommended

I did turn-off Windows Update wherever possible on computer (via Control Panel & at Task Manager -- "Services".  For some reason that allowed Windows Updates Stand Alone Installer to run well.  I believe I'm updated to about June 2017.  Thank you again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.