Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP-1330z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to find a graphics card that is compatable with my system. Right now i have an AMD HD 7670. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@River2626, welcome to the forum.

There are some things to consider when choosing a video card.  The newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  There is no way to upgrade the motherboard to UEFI.  The last cards that didn't require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.  MSI does make a card that switches between Legacy and UEFI.  You could contact their Tech Support to see which card that they recommend for your computer.  This is the best way to know.  It will assure that you won't have to return a card that doesn't work.

You had to choose the power supply unit (PSU) from three choices: 300W, 460W or 600W.  The 460W and 600W would be good for most newer cards, but if you chose the 300W PSU, it would have to be upgraded.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@River2626, welcome to the forum.

There are some things to consider when choosing a video card.  The newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  There is no way to upgrade the motherboard to UEFI.  The last cards that didn't require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.  MSI does make a card that switches between Legacy and UEFI.  You could contact their Tech Support to see which card that they recommend for your computer.  This is the best way to know.  It will assure that you won't have to return a card that doesn't work.

You had to choose the power supply unit (PSU) from three choices: 300W, 460W or 600W.  The 460W and 600W would be good for most newer cards, but if you chose the 300W PSU, it would have to be upgraded.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Thanks a bunch for the help. I'm still struggling to find a card that will work for my system but now I have more of the information I need. Thanks again
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @River2626.  I know that you will find a card.  You simply have to be cautious.

HP Recommended
Hi, hopefully you can help me one more time. Is there a way i can replace my motherboard in order to find a UEFI graphics card?
HP Recommended

Yes, it is possible.  However, there are some things that you have to consider.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  The only problems that I have heard is, some members have had problems with the front case connectors.  The motherboard Form Factor is (uATX form factor: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches).  This is important because you have to make certain that the stand-offs in the case match the holes in the mobo.  Also, you have to find a mobo that is compatible with your AMD processor and memory:

Socket type: AM3-b

• TDP: up to 125W
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    FX-4100 (Zambezi)
    95W
    FX-6100 (Zambezi)
    95W
    FX-6120 (Zambezi)
    95W
    FX-6200 (Zambezi)
    125W
    FX-8100 (Zambezi)
    95W
    FX-8120 (Zambezi)
    95W or 125W
    FX-8150 (Zambezi)
    125W
    FX-8350 (Zambezi)
    125W

You may want to take a look at the new HP Gaming Computers.  They have all that you could ever need.  I am using a Phoenix 860-170VR.  It is a great gamer.

HP Recommended
Alright thanks you again. I really do appreciate the help
HP Recommended

You are most welcome, @River2626.  I am always glad to help.  Please come back anytime.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.