Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

is the mobo hp 656941-001 compatible with a Radeon Rx 580 8Gb?

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The problem is not the MB but the Power Supply. I believe you have a 320W PSU and the RX 580 requires a 500W PSU.

HP Recommended

Hi JJOcean,

the psu is ok, it was a 460W and I replaced it with a 600W.

Is there a place where to verify all the Hp's mobo to know their compatibility with video cards?

The 656941-001 is one of the used mobo I'm actually watching to change the actual one to support the Radeon Rx 580 8Gb 

Thanks

HP Recommended

@JJOcean,

Here is the board.  Your dealing with an HP 8300 series motherboard circa July 2012, prior to UEFI .   It is not a UEFI board.   It will not work with the RX 580. The board part number is only for the 8300 CMT, not the SSF, not the USDT, and not the MT version. The power supply wiring is an HP design, and not an ATX wiring. The stock PSU is only 320W.

@AnDEllEDnA,

If the stock PSU was 320W, and you had a 460W in it, how did you accomplish that?   It is not an ATX motherboard.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello  @Wb2001 ,

the system I've got is a Pavilion H8-1100it and mount an IPISB-CH2 motherboard, the original psu is an hp 460W and now I've changed it with a 600W for the video card upgrade.

The original mobo doesn't support the Rx 580 8Gb and now (thank you) I know that the 656941-001 too doesn't support it.

According to what I know this system is Atx 

Please, what should I search to find the right mobo which can support all my peripherals including the Rx 580 8Gb?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@AnDEllEDnA,

Trying to find a board that accepts an old CPU, and RAM is beyond effort.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Well @Wb2001 

thanks for the reply, looking around the net there are various 1155 Lga's mobo on sale that accept Ddr3 and I7 2nd series: what is needed is to find one which accept the  Rx 580

Which are the parameters that I have to look at to make sure that it accepts this video card?

HP Recommended

Well @Wb2001 ,

Thanks for the answer, but the right answer which could also maybe help someone else was the one that you have erased and changed:

Uefi is the Bios which supports the Rx 580 8Gb 

Thanks, Best Wishes!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.