Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC with the AMD Athlon II X2 B24 Processor (AM3 socket), 4gb DDR3 RAM, 128GB SSD. From HP Support Center, it shows that the AMD 785G chipset supports the AMD Phenom II X4 B95 Processor (AM3 socket). http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03414737

I purchased the Phenom II X4 B95 Processor and installed it on my already working system. Upon startup, I have no display to my monitor, no power to usb devices (mouse/keyboard), and receive 9 beep codes during POST.

This would indicate an issue with the motherboard or the processor.

I reset the CMOS and now I do not get the 9 beep codes but my display is still not working and the usb devices are not receiving power. Everything else is running (Fans, cd-rom). I have a solid state hard drive installed that I assume is receiving power since everything else is.

I reinstalled the Athlon II X2 B24 Processor and the PC starts up normally without issue.

My bios version is 1.17 which is the latest bios version available from the HP Support/Driver Downloads page.

I reverted to v1.16 and tried again but receive the same outcome.

From what I have read on many support forums they recommend to update the cpu code in the BIOS (I assume update the BIOS to the newest version)

Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Jesse.

The AMD Phenom II X4 B95  has 4 Cores and 4 Threads.

Phenom II X4 B95443 GHz2MB6MB95W

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Phenom_II_X4/B95.html

The AMD Athlon II X2 B24 has 2 Cores and 2 Threads.

Athlon II X2 B24223 GHz2MB65W

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Athlon_II_X2/B24_(rev._C3).html

When people say update the CPU code in the BIOS they mean to rewrite/modify the BIOS code not just update the BIOS to the latest version.

This would be the best upgrade without having to modify the BIOS.

Athlon II X2 B30223.6 GHz2MB65W

REO

HP Recommended

So is there a way to do this? I know there are some Compaq 6005 Pro SFFs out there that already have the Phenom II X4 in them.

Would this be a fairly simple process?

HP Recommended

I also want to upgrade my HP 6005 with AMD Phenom II X4 B95, so I found this one, may it has any meaning for you, link: http://threadposts.org/question/2411096/hp-compaq-6005-pro-small-form-factor-processor-upgrade.html

HP Recommended

I have the same system you have..Did you ever find a straight forward answer? I also want to use that processor..

HP Recommended

I

@wanaseemike wrote:

I have the same system you have..Did you ever find a straight forward answer? I also want to use that processor..

Sorry,

HP Recommended

Sorry, I did not have any good straight answer so far.

HP Recommended

When people say update the CPU code in the BIOS they mean to rewrite/modify the BIOS code not just update the BIOS to the latest version.

This would be the best upgrade without having to modify the BIOS.

Athlon II X2 B30 2 2 3.6 GHz 2MB 65W

REO

BTW, I note that the Athlonx II X2 B24 is also a 65 watt processor while the Phenom II X4 B95 is a 95 watt processor.   That's usually also an important consideration in a processor upgrade.

However, the OP has a point that this 6005 was sold with a variety of processor options, up to and including the Phenom II X4 B95 quad-core.   HP also has actually published the parts list used in various versions of this model, in the Illustrated Parts & Service Map and Spare Parts documents on the model support pages.  The B95 is listed.

There are only two system boards listed, the alternate one being marked "excludes ES (for use in Russia)".  Also, the highest level processor configuration listed on the sheet and sold by HP is the B95, just what the OP and others want!  Finally, there is just one BIOS download available for this system, and there is nothing processor-specific about the download.

I'd mention too there are no visible switches or jumpers on the system board.  I'd attach an image of the board, but can't here, however many are available upon an internet search.  The system map document, however, does mention a CMOS reset button and a password reset header (and identifies the location of the password reset, but not the CMOS clear).  You can also try removing the battery, though I think that is just used to run the system clock now, and CMOS itself is held in flash memory, but I could be mistaken.

Therefore, I tend to think the issue the OP has is either:

(1) CMOS setting issue.   Perhaps something not user viewable or editable, tied to the processor detected as installed on the first boot (considered to be permanent)?  Changing the processor, I'd definitely suggest finding a way to clear the CMOS before booting if it won't boot, and I'd also reset the settings to default values with the BIOS settings utility  immediately when it does finally boot!

(2) The new B95 processor is bad (damaged or defective).  Where did it come from?  Is there any way to test it out in another machine that already has a running B95?  Sometimes improper handling of the processor by someone previously or static discharge can ruin the processor.  Or, you could try another B95 processor on this board to rule this out.

Not sure if the OP is still trying to do this, but would be really helpful to the rest of us to find out what's involved!

HP Recommended

I was able to get this working. Turns out the Processor was bad. Ordered a different Phenom X4 B95 processor and it started right up without further modification.

Very good upgrade for this PC, although I belive the B97 and B99 will also work in this system.

Been running this setup for a while now with no issues. Put new Thermal grease on the processor and heatsync and have been keeping an eye on the temps with a cpu monitor.

HP Recommended

@JesseN wrote:

I was able to get this working. Turns out the Processor was bad. Ordered a different Phenom X4 B95 processor and it started right up without further modification.

Very good upgrade for this PC, although I belive the B97 and B99 will also work in this system.

Been running this setup for a while now with no issues. Put new Thermal grease on the processor and heatsync and have been keeping an eye on the temps with a cpu monitor.

Thank you so much for that update! 

I imagine any of the Athlon II X2 or Phenom II processors (or the Sempron processor) using socket type AM3 and TDP of 95 watts or less and C2/c3 stepping would work, it's just that the Phenom II X4 B95 is the highest processor officially indicated to work and actually used by HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.