Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp-Compaq-6200-Pro-Microtower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About the SSD I plan to CLONE with Acronis TI 2018 Rescue media DVD -  C:/ HDD DISK to SSD... AFTER REPLACE HDD with SSD...

Before cloning - should backup & create Restore Point of the C:/ disk???

During cloning and backup helps avoid problems having the PC & Monitor connected to a UPS...???

What is the most dangerous while backup and clone AND ELECTRICITY CUTOFF:

A.

backup/Clone from Windows10/AcronisTI2018 software or

B

boot from Acronis TI 2018 media DVD and do backup/clone?

About the old HDD in this PC, should Not connect this with having SSD with cloned OS due to Disk same signatures may interfere???

Having external HDD backup --- if wanted to reuse this old HDD should FORMAT it NTFS using Disk manager or Acronis Add Disk or other tools...???? The Format TYPE chosen should be Quick Format or Not???

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have that exact Acronis version and have cloned a lot of HD to SSD and have seen a few problem including one just two days ago.

Some suggestions

Make sure your drive is good.  If you are cloning because the drive is defective the clone will fail

If good, then run disk cleanup and consider removing all but the latest restore points (system files).  Acronis knows not to copy the swap, page and hibernation files but it is a waste of disk space and time to copy all the historical updates, error logs and browse history let alone the recycle bin and temp files.

Burn a CD and select the universal and linux version of the universal not the windows or PE version.

Boot the CD with the new SSD wherever you can attach it (usb adapter is best) and select the clone tool

-manual

-source is drive / partition and "C"

-destination is the new disk and you may need to delete any existing partitions on the new SSD. Sometimes they come preformatted.

Review everything before clicking PROCEED.  The new drive should NOT have any unallocated space.  It should show the C drive as fitting on the new drive and taking all the space except for a restore or recovery partition of about 100mb and possibly an EFI partition very tiny.

If you want to re-use your old C drive then it might be a good idea to do a backup.

Boot with the same CD and this time select backup.  Source is disk C and destination any other computer on the network or simply use a folder on the existing C drive or a flash drive if big enough.  If you have a BlueRay burner the backup might fit on 23 or at worse 46 gb media.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

During PC DESKTOP backup and cloning PROCESS, helps avoid problems having the PC & Monitor connected to a UPS POWER SUPPLY...???

What is the most dangerous while backup and clone PROCESS, AND ELECTRICITY CUTOFF:

A.

backup/Clone from Windows10/AcronisTI2018 software or

B.

boot from Acronis TI 2018 media DVD and do backup/clone?

I do Not have UPS but I can borrow or buy one... but wondering about the safest method WITHOUT UPS...

HP Recommended

Since 2018 is installed on your system, it might be easier to simply run the app, select "clone" and clone to the new SSD.

If power goes out during cloning you just restart the PC, make sure the SSD does not attempt to boot up, and then run Acronis again.  You will have to delete any  partitions on SSD as they were corrupted during the power out.

IMHO the only reason to use a UPS is when power fluctuations and outages are common and expected.

Even when running the app under windows, possibly Acronis may still want to reboot.  You might be able to prevent the reboot from happening by terminating all other apps and disconnecting from the local network and reboot before executing true image.

I have build 15470 of Acronis 2018 which runs fine (so far) on Windows 11 

That build is the latest version of 2018 as of 12/8/2021 and I doubt it will ever be updated.

It came out Feb 2019 and was named AcronisTrueImage2018-feb2019-update5.exe

HP Recommended

because I NEED REPLY ASAP here at the end of this Post:   

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/upgrade-my-system-with-RAM-DDR3...

I ask again in a new Post here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/from-HDD-to-SSD-needed-HDD-chec...

--- the same: 

About the message in this Post, 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/upgrade-my-system-with-RAM-DDR3...

of previously:

VH2000

Message 9 of 18: 

What do you mean by...? What do these 2 CLI commands? >>>

Run an Inplacement.
Run these 2 commands in cmd (admin)
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
sfc /scannow

If the current HDD is having errors, do these have to be fixed before I clone it? How do understand has errors?

What do you mean by "MSR " Below...?

All recovery processes fail due to the MSR partition!

So, Is it required to do a Disk C:/ backup in Windows10/Acronis, and after clone HDD System disk, to SSD with boot from DVD ACRONIS MEDIA...? 

Then, upgrade to Windows 10 21H2, from 20H2,... only after clone did and replace HDD with SSD... then UPGRADE more quickly,... Is ok...?

HP Recommended

I am not sure what is being asked as there are several posts that you list and access is denied to me for one of them.

Those two commands are used to verify / fix corrupted or missing system files.  As long as the windows 10 scan disk report no errors you should be able to proceed with Acronis backup.  I have learned that when a Microsoft MVP'er wants me to run scandisk and DISM they basically  don't know what is wrong and want me to go away and leave them alone.

An upgrade to 21h2 is best accomplished by downloading Windows10Upgrade9252.exe or whatever the latest update is named.  It should be the same or a bigger number then 9252 (not smaller or you will not get to 21h2)

You may want to do the upgrade after the cloning to avoid removing the original win10 backup.

HP Recommended

You say,

As long as the windows 10 scan disk report no errors you should be able to proceed with Acronis backup.

How run scan disk report?...

Right click C: > Properties > check Disk...? Or,... from CLI.... what run as admin?

Await answer and for same matter, but differ questions here: 

HP Recommended

Like says here run scan disk report...? Needed restart to check C:/ windows 10 drive?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-scandisk-on-windows-10/3995ec8c-5aa...

From CLI I CAN DO THIS and restart PC to run disk checking? : 

Watch "How To Run A Disk Check In Windows 10 Using The Command Prompt" on YouTube 
HP Recommended

FYI: Acronis just released an upgrade to 2018 just a few minutes ago (12/19/2021)

It address a number of security issues caused by that new virus discovered recently.  The fixed some bugs also which is nice.

They hid the update in the "local\temp" folder but possibly it can be downloaded at their site.

BeemerBiker_0-1639935953854.png

I recently had to repair a WD "black" HDD and windows check disk failed.  I first tried a windows scan that said all was OK (it totally lied)  Hard drive sentinel had shown sector relocation problems.. CHKDSK /F /R /X fixed a few items then gave up.

I downloaded and ran "Victoria for windows".  It was unable to repair also but did not die like CHKDSK did.

I then ran Acronis and cloned the drive as it was not possible to repair and only backup was 16 months old.  Acronis reported errors and I told it to ignore all.  The clone worked and windows 10 booted, but I had to run

sfc /scannow 

to get missing and corrupted files restored.

Probably one of the few time I have run "sfc" where it actually did  some good.

This happened two days ago. I think that Acronis phoned home and that is how I got the message today of the update being available.

[EDIT]  Afterwards I deleted all partitions on the WD disk and reformatted using the "long" format land did a verificatoin

HTH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.