Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP All in one, Touch, 64bit Windiws 10 Home.
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Im looking at 2 possible upgrade HP systems. Beginner gamer. PC literate, for the most part. Just not sure whats important sdd, or processor or ram. all are im sure buyt for me and my needs which arent crazy, what would be my best option.TY in advance for any advice. diff in price bout 60bux

first.  HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF High Performance Business Desktop Computer, Intel Quad Core i5-4590 up to 3.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD (boot), DVD, WiFi, Windows 10 Professional 

second. 

2018 HP Compaq Elite 6300 Tower Business Desktop Computer, Intel Quad-Core i5-3470 up to 3.60GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD, DVD, WiFi, USB 3.0, Windows 10 Professional 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that is true. You're likely to pay more or just as much for the gfx card as you do the PC. eg. 6GB GTX 1660 is A$350. Same as a good 2nd hand Z200 or 400 series tower workstation. BUT .. I don't trust the 2nd gfx cards, especially if they've been used for crypto mining. They've been flogged and are likely to fail. My preference is to get a new gfx card, even though they're rather expensive.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MRAllinone , welcome back to the forum.

I want to state upfront that neither of the computers will be good for gaming!!  With that said, if it were me buying one of them I would choose the HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF High Performance Business Desktop Computer.  My main reason for the choice is the processor.  It has the best Integrated graphics.  The other components appear to be very equal.  The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it is a Small Form Factor (SFF).  Small case can allow for heat build-up.

A SSD for the boot drive is important no matter which computer that you buy.  It will give you the best performance boost for the least amount of money spent.  I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.

Here are the specifications for both processors:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80815/intel-core-i5-4590-processor-6m-cache-up-...

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68316/intel-core-i5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-...

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Go the Tower, as then you'll at least be able to put a decent graphics card in it.

The low profile gaming cards are pretty limited,

HP Recommended

@Hibb1, is correct!  However, you will spend more for a good video card than you will for the computer.  If this is a concern, I suggest buying a tower computer with a decent video card in the beginning.  You will get better components overall.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Yes, that is true. You're likely to pay more or just as much for the gfx card as you do the PC. eg. 6GB GTX 1660 is A$350. Same as a good 2nd hand Z200 or 400 series tower workstation. BUT .. I don't trust the 2nd gfx cards, especially if they've been used for crypto mining. They've been flogged and are likely to fail. My preference is to get a new gfx card, even though they're rather expensive.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help. Greatly appreciated. Although they r similiar and yes , kinda dated, its for my 11 year old daughter who is just getting her feet wet with games but no serious gaming its just internet basic stuff. I just got ssd for first time and couldnt believe the speed, boot difference, so i wanted to get her something so she could see what ive been raving about. Hopefully this 6300 i got, will do trick. i can tell ya its a major upgrade from the asus she uses now that has more issues and barley goes. Think ill be ok ? I hope so. Like i said its just for basic internet roblox etc. Few years ill hook her up with a nice updated unit. Thank you again, i really really do appreciate the advice.

HP Recommended

In that case, I would get the 800 G1 SFF.. The integrated Intel HD graphics will be newer and better in the i5-4590  than in the i5-3470 (Intel® HD Graphics 4600 vs Intel® HD Graphics 2500) The HD 4600 will work better with low to mid range games.

Sorry for the back flip, but since you mentioned what its purpose will be I think it'll be better suited and smaller footprint on the desk.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.