Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP xw4400 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Can someone please help to find a new microcode update to support the new processor stepping? 

I did an upgrade to my processor from core 2 duo E6400 to a core 2 quad Q6600.

When I start the computer, I get the message:

"error 1801 - you need a new microcode update to support the new processor stepping".

I press the option to boot anyway, and after windows start, I found out that Windows 10 recognized the processor with the speed of 2400 MHz, but only with 2 core, not 4. (like the old one).

I installed the latest bios update that was on HP support site, but wasn't enough. The bios update was form 2010, and the processor is from 2007, that's way I was expected to be ok, but it wasn't. 🙂

Thank you in advance for your help 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is only that one BIOS update and no separate microcode updates for your PC.

Below is the link to the xw4400 quickspecs. 

The supported processors can be found on page 3.

HP xw4400 Workstation

Only the QX6700 processor is supported.

Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6700 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) Product Specifications

HP Recommended

Thank you for answer. 

Unfortunately, I didn't find other processor to buy, so I have this one...

I solved the error with one microcode from bio-mods site, but windows still see only 2 cores, not 4.

I hope to find a solution... 🙂 I don't Know if it is necessary to reinstall windows

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you don't find an answer, you can buy the QX6700 on eBay.

This seller on eBay ships to Romania.

Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700 2.66GHz LGA 775 CPU Processor | eBay

HP Recommended

I solved the situation with the microcode from the above site mentioned. (bios-mod. Com....) 

After, the microcode install, I modified în msconfig to let Windows to see core number. Restart, and now I have quad Q6600

All the Best 🙂

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad you got the Q6600 processor to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.