Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp tower z230 workstation i5
Ubuntu LTS

I currently have a sata 3 ssd and a hdd. Can I use an adapter and use something like a western digital nvme m.2 ssd along with what I already have ? I know I can't use the nvme ssd as a boot device i just plan on using it for my data and /home and still booting off my sata 3 ssd.  Would something like this work for this? https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Controller-Expansion-Supports-Drives/dp/B07WQ447MN and if it will not can I add another sata 3 ssd 500gb with my 256 sata ssd that's installed now? Would I need an adapter for another 2.5 sata 3 ssd as well? Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks for your time.

Ps: trying to make it as fast as possible. I mainly use my PC for compiling Aosp roms from source.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@java29 --  I know I can't use the nvme ssd as a boot device 

Really? That should be possible. If the BIOS recognizes it as a "data" device, use BIOS SETUP to make it the "primary bootable device". 

Why not replace your current HDD by another SSD, for better performance? Cost?

trying to make it as fast as possible. I mainly use my PC for compiling Aosp roms from source.

I would speculate that you need a fast processor -- think of maximum Gigahertz per core in your processor,  rather than having multiple cores, and multiple threads per core, because the compiler probably is "single-threaded" -- does not exploit multiple cores/threads.

HP Recommended

I have no experience with that PCIe adapter but from what I read it will work in your

• 1 PCIe Gen 2 x 4 slot/x16 connector

but it will only run at gen 2 speed so only 1/2 as fast or about 2.0 gbits per second 

SATA3 is 6 Bits per second, so probably want to continue to boot from SATA 3 assuming your SSD actually runs that fast.

I am no expert on this hardware , maybe read the reviews might be better.

HTH

Good Luck!

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.