Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-424
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I have an HP Envy 750-424 and it has a 300 watt power supply and by the looks of it I cannot change it out for a more powerful unit for the installation of a GPU because it appears that all of the PSU's that are above 400 watts have larger fans on top of the PSU and the case has no ventilation on the top, so my question is can you simply create an extension cable from the power point of the GPU and have an external power supply for just that load? Or does someone have the holy grail of part numbers for a power supply that would bolt up and still provide all the connectors I need to keep all of the stock I/O's and still have a connector for the GPU? I should state that I'm not a gamer but would like to boost the graphics to handle some light video editing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well I suppose this has been up long enough so I'll just update my solution for others that may have the same issue. I wound up buying a hardware RAID controller for the empty PCIe X16 slot along with a 1in4 breakout sata cable and a 1in4 breakout power cable and problem solved I now have the boot drive for programs and apps, 2 SSD's in RAID 0 for performance and 2 1TB HDD's in RAID 1 for redundency backup, oh and for the most bang for the buck I installed PCIe X1 card to mount another hard drive as that slot didn't offer much in the way of hardware options. So in closing i actualy acheived much more than I expected and didn't have to do a hack to install a bigger PSU so I'm happy for sure. Almost done I also backup to my 3TB Apple Airport Time Capsule. :generic:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mrbilky,

It is difficult to find a picture of the rear. I did find a 750-117 series.  Notice the screw placements. Does it match? Then take notice of the Corsair CX600 screw placements. 

HP 750 series rear view-1.jpg

Does this help??Corsair CX600 rear view-1.jpg

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I've found several that appear to have the same screw pattern but ya know I have been assuming that the fan on these larger PSU's blows outward is this the case? If not then if I can find one that mounts correctly but facing downward it would work I guess as it would be pulling air from inside the case but I haveen't found anything to indicate which way the fans blow in. How bout if the fan is blowing inward any issue with that other than the obvious heat from the PSU going into the case before being evacuated by the case fan?

HP Recommended

Well I suppose this has been up long enough so I'll just update my solution for others that may have the same issue. I wound up buying a hardware RAID controller for the empty PCIe X16 slot along with a 1in4 breakout sata cable and a 1in4 breakout power cable and problem solved I now have the boot drive for programs and apps, 2 SSD's in RAID 0 for performance and 2 1TB HDD's in RAID 1 for redundency backup, oh and for the most bang for the buck I installed PCIe X1 card to mount another hard drive as that slot didn't offer much in the way of hardware options. So in closing i actualy acheived much more than I expected and didn't have to do a hack to install a bigger PSU so I'm happy for sure. Almost done I also backup to my 3TB Apple Airport Time Capsule. :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.