Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion p590-0053w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the power supply in my 590-0053 from 180w to 500w, but i am having trouble finding the part number for the psu. reading other posts on here one of them mentioned that a psu from the 795 series would work. the motherboard has a 7 pin plug with only 3 wires attached, and two 4 pin plugs. so far 500w is the highest i could find for a power upgrade, would like to go higher, but i do not think it is possible with the type of connections available on the motherboard, the 7 pin plug is a total pain to deal with any help would be great.....thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hephaestus100
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

They were set up with a proprietary Small Form Factor PSU. HP did not intend for them to be upgraded.
NOTE: HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@hephaestus100
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

They were set up with a proprietary Small Form Factor PSU. HP did not intend for them to be upgraded.
NOTE: HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

after looking hard into the system i finally fig it out.....now running a 750w power supply 8gb vid card and 32 mb of ram...the proprietary garbage hp hands out.....bleh they can keep the 180 watt junk.....warrenty...so be it void....i have somthing that works the way i want now....thank you for responding

HP Recommended

@hephaestus100
I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

what have you done? i want to upgrade too. tnks

HP Recommended

@hephaestus100
 Yes! it's possible to upgrade, It requires a minimum of 300W.  This will give you extra power for peak usage.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My computer is this HP 590-P0171NP, where can i buy that 300W Power Supply?

HP Recommended

@hephaestus100

You can check with local stores or on website Amazon or eBay. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is what i did...i bought a sfx power supply...any watt you choose just make sure to use the two 4 pin conections and leave the sata they have to power your hdd or ssd...went with full modular since case wase kinda small so could just put in wires that were needed...have to use a jumper on main power cable so it knows it has power(stupid i know but needed) that way the little 7 pin connection can go bye bye...after that its plug in what ya want...ram ...vid card...and not have to worry about the psu because there is a good one in there...i went with a 750w...but can always go with what ya want.....keep in mind this makes your warenty go poof....but i dont care .....got a bad to the bone game machine and told proprietary parts where to go

HP Recommended

I have the exact same pc as you but EVGA told me the one I purchased which is modular woudn't work since my motherboard wasn't ATX standard. I got EVGA 550 B3, 80 Plus BRONZE 550W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-B3-0550-V1from Newegg.com

@hephaestus100 wrote:

This is what i did...i bought a sfx power supply...any watt you choose just make sure to use the two 4 pin conections and leave the sata they have to power your hdd or ssd...went with full modular since case wase kinda small so could just put in wires that were needed...have to use a jumper on main power cable so it knows it has power(stupid i know but needed) that way the little 7 pin connection can go bye bye...after that its plug in what ya want...ram ...vid card...and not have to worry about the psu because there is a good one in there...i went with a 750w...but can always go with what ya want.....keep in mind this makes your warenty go poof....but i dont care .....got a bad to the bone game machine and told proprietary parts where to go

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.