Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
PD500A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi,

I've reacently bought a new leptop (dynabook satellite pro c50-e-104 win 10 64bit) and for some reason it dosen't recognize my HP pd500a external HDD. I've checked to see if it was appearing in the disk manager without letter assigned to it but it didn't even appeared there. I was looking for a driver for that hdd and I couldent find any. could you help me solve the issue?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

That drive is simply a hard drive in an external case, using the USB interface to attach to a host.  Here is the manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02934195

Look at tab 6 for "Troubleshooting" tips.

It should not require a driver as it is connected via USB.  Try using a different USB port on the laptop.

BTW: have you also connected the power supply to the external case?  The USB port does not power the drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

First of all thank you for you answer. 

I’ve tried plugging it to other port with no success, and this drive does uses the same port for power supply and data transfer. Oddly enough, plugging this drive to a pc running win 7, and later plugging it back to my new pc, it works for a while, but if you wait long enough or unplug and insert it back, it doesn’t recognize it again. Do you have any idea why or how to fix it?

HP Recommended

I suspect the USB port cannot supply enough power to run the drive and you can either use the external power supply in addition to the USB port or use a powered USB hub that can supply the extra power.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.