Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6000 pro Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello ! Im the new old guy. Old computer too. Anyhow,..I want to upgrade (change) my E7600 duo processor to a Intell Quad core processor. I don't know all that stuff about boards and all, but thought just going from a 2 core to a QUAD would be not hard or ..not to much of a diff.  The E7600 is 3.0 ghz - in a 64 bit (x64) sys.. version 1803 - OS build is 17134.706, whatever these things mean. My reason is for my music studio set-up. Need more engine processing. Thanks guys ! J.C.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes here are the specs of your machine and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor (3.0-GHz, 12MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB) would be supported. Depending on what software you use, you may not see much improvement goting from a 3.06 ghz dual core to a 3 ghz Quad Core. The software would have to actually be able to use 4 separate computing cores and not all music production software does or can. 

https://support.hp.com/my-en/product/hp-compaq-6000-pro-microtower-pc/4023814/document/c01865757

The good thing is you can likely find these old CPUs for next to nothing now so not much at risk to try it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes here are the specs of your machine and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor (3.0-GHz, 12MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB) would be supported. Depending on what software you use, you may not see much improvement goting from a 3.06 ghz dual core to a 3 ghz Quad Core. The software would have to actually be able to use 4 separate computing cores and not all music production software does or can. 

https://support.hp.com/my-en/product/hp-compaq-6000-pro-microtower-pc/4023814/document/c01865757

The good thing is you can likely find these old CPUs for next to nothing now so not much at risk to try it. 

HP Recommended

OK ! Thanks Huffer. I get ya,.. and i'll try it. --- J.C.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.