Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-170se DT, Prod. #N3G97AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I upgrade the CPU in this and to what is my question. I have the Intel i7-6700 quad core, 500W power supply, Nvidia GeForec GTX 745 4GB GPU (which I also want to upgrade but that's a different issue).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @tybowman.  Glad to help.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@tybowman, welcome back to the forum.

Here is the Motherboard Specifications page for the computer.  Look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" for a list of compatible processors.  As you will see, the only upgrade for you is to the i7-6700K (Multiplier is unlocked in the K version).  This allows it to be overclocked.

I normally wouldn't recommend upgrading when the difference is only 600MHz because you won't see that much boost in performance compared to the cost.  However, if you feel comfortable with overclocking, the Z170 chipset in your motherboard and the i7-6700K will overclock nicely.  I have read that some have achieved 4.7 GHz with air cooling.  You have to take it slowly and watch the temps closely.  I use Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility to OC my processors.  It work great.  Just remember you overclock at your own risk. 

There are numerous videos on overclocking the i7-6700K on the Internet.  I suggest that you look at several of them before deciding to buy the i7-6700K.

You can OC your GTX 745, also.  I use MSI Afterburner.  There are good videos for using it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Great tips. Thanks!

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @tybowman.  Glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.