Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy h8-1534 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, all! I'm new to the community and came here looking for answers that I couldn't seem to find anywhere else. I'd like to up grade my video card (AMD Radeon HD 7570)! During my hunt for a card that would work I ran across some indications that led me to believe that I might possibly also have to upgrade my power supply! I can't seem to find out much about the power supply that's installed in my system, but here is a short snippet of a report generated by Piriforms' Speccy program...

HP Envy h8-1534 Desktop PC (not quite 4 years old)

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU
AMD FX-8320 (recently upgraded)
Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24) (recently upgraded from 10GB)

Motherboard
Gigabyte 2AC8 (CPU 1)

Graphics
NS-32L120A13 (1920x1080@60Hz) (the label on the monitor is Insignia)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7570

Voltage
CPU CORE 1.296 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1.512 V
+3.3V 2.916 V
+5V 4.959 V
+12V 8.016 V
-12V (8.928) V
-5V (8.928) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 2.762 V
CMOS BATTERY 1.620 V

i would really like a recommendation for the video card replacement as well as what I would need to do with the power supply (if anything)! Thank you for your time and consideration! Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MugsyBaloney, welcome to the forum.

The video slot on the motherboard is PCI Express 2.0 x16. You can buy a PCIe 3.0 card because they are backward compatible, but you will not benefit from all of the power.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  The power supply unit (PSU) is 460W.  Now, this gives you a couple of options: 1) you can go with a more powerful video card that requires less than 460W or 2) you can upgrade the PSU to at least 600W and go for the gusto.  You can determine if the card will fit by measuring from the Back I/O plate to the front of the case.  If you want to go for the gusto a GTX 1070 or 1080 would be good if they will fit.

Here is a great little card with a lot of Customer Reviews.  It says that it only requires a PSU with at least 300W, but several members say that 400W is better.  Read the reviews to see what users have to say about it. 

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MugsyBaloney, welcome to the forum.

The video slot on the motherboard is PCI Express 2.0 x16. You can buy a PCIe 3.0 card because they are backward compatible, but you will not benefit from all of the power.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  The power supply unit (PSU) is 460W.  Now, this gives you a couple of options: 1) you can go with a more powerful video card that requires less than 460W or 2) you can upgrade the PSU to at least 600W and go for the gusto.  You can determine if the card will fit by measuring from the Back I/O plate to the front of the case.  If you want to go for the gusto a GTX 1070 or 1080 would be good if they will fit.

Here is a great little card with a lot of Customer Reviews.  It says that it only requires a PSU with at least 300W, but several members say that 400W is better.  Read the reviews to see what users have to say about it. 

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank your for your reply! I guess it's up to me now to make up my mind, and fully research what I can do!!?! lol 🙂

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @MugsyBaloney.

I have a HP Phoenix 860-170VR with a R9-390X 8 GB video card (11") (came stock).  It is tight, but works.  Also, I have a 28" UHD monitor w/ AMD Freesync.  I play all newer games, such as, Wolfenstein: The New Order and COD and Ghost Recon at Ultra settings.  My PSU is 600W.

HP Recommended

I took a peek at my video card and it measures just a little over 6" in length! I could fit a video card of almost 14" into this case! I mostly play World of Warcraft and in order to get the desired framerate (it's now 30 - 50 fps), but I have to keep the video settings turned down to just a little over 1/2 of what it could be! I'm not having a problem with latency, it's usually running around 30 - 35ms! I'd just like to be able to see better graphics than what I can with the card that I have!!?!  lol 🙂

HP Recommended

The EVGA GTX 750Ti in my link will do exactly what you want to do.  It is actually 6" in length, but has the power of much larger cards and you PSU will work great.  Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.