Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have an hp z840 workstation and would like to change the current processors from xeon e5 2640 v3 to xeon e5 2696 v3, is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Igorcass , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation.  In Chapter 1, Hardware overview, Page 20, it states as follows:

Processor technologyIntel Series C612 chipset:Support for the Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 Series, including processors up to 150 WIntegrated 4-channel memory controllerMicroarchitecture improvementsLarge L3 cache for superior performanceIntel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) connects processors and I/O controller with speeds up to 9.6 GT

As you can see, it shows the E5-2600 Series processors.  Therefore, I believe that the processor should be compatible with the motherboard.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

Yes, keep in mind you should ensure your BIOS is up to date before swapping processors.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Bios cattura.JPG

This is my bios

HP Recommended

Cattura bios.JPG

HP Recommended

@Igorcass, here is the latest BIOS for your workstation:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z840-workstation/6978842/swItemId/vc-2...

Please read all of the information on the page; including the instructions on installing the update.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.