Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp h8-1040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help !...After installing a 650 watt  power supply, I saw a cable like the one below sticking up. It comes from the usb 3 on top of the computer. I cannot figure out what it attaches to. The white plastic cap was on it when it came off. I don't see anything that looks  like it would fit on this. I am very happy with my GE force gtx 660 but now I don't have usb 3. Can anyone show me a picture of where this goes ??

thank you !DPP_0001.JPGDPP_0002.JPGDPP_0004.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Eyelan , welcome to the Community.

We can't view the pictures that you attached.  Please try to add them again.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

DPP_0001.JPG

DPP_0002.JPG

DPP_0004.JPG

HP Recommended

DPP_0001.JPGDPP_0002.JPGDPP_0004.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi, @old_geekster 

Gene:  The pictures have to be approved by a moderator.

You can always preview them before they are approved by clicking on the user's profile.

Under the Users Photos section, click on the blue See All link on the right side of that section.

Now you should be able to view all of the screenshots.

HP Recommended

Thank you, @Paul_Tikkanen!  I guess I was asleep.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Eyelan!

Here is the Motherboard Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1000-desktop-pc-series/5080764/document/c028...

If you look at the section titled "Motherboard layout", I believe it connects to the long connector on the right-facing bottom. 

Here is a video that will show you where the USB 3.0 connector is normally located on the motherboard:

It is not exactly clear to me where it is on your motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all of your help. I know what the problem is now. In the previous picture there was a white cap on the end of the cable. It was attached to the blue plug when I saw it sticking up. That cap was previously attached to the circuit board. I  had to look at the cap under a magnifying glass to see the little holes in it. There is no way I can line up the little poles sticking up with the super small holes in the white cap. I also wonder how a repair shop could line it up. It seems like the only option is either to not have usb 3 or to buy another circuit board and I don't know how practical that is. Since it seems to cost over $300 perhaps I would be better buying a new computer..

Thanks again

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Eyelan!

Actually, it is not that difficult to connect the cable to the motherboard.  If you line it up with the cable up with the port on the motherboard it should connect without a problem.  I have a bit of difficulty sometimes because of my old eyes, but I get it done.

S: Since it seems to cost over $300 perhaps I would be better buying a new computer..

You computer is almost 10 years old.  Three years in computer lives is like a light-year!  The least expensive computer on the market today is light-years faster than yours.  HP has very reasonably priced computers that would be major upgrade.

HP Recommended

With all due respect, you are not understanding the situation. The cable became separated from the circuit board with the PORT ATTACHED TO THE CABLE.  The port is no longer attached to the circuit board.  The difficulty lies in re-attaching the PORT to the circuit board and getting those small pins thru the super small holes in the PORT. 

Also,

If my computer has an I7 processor 2600 cpu @ 3.4gh, 16 gb of ram  and an SSD  hard drive.

How is a new computer “light years” faster than mine ? I read the specs of new computers and they don't look "light years"

faster to me

Thanks for responding to all of my question

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.