Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop computer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Received the following error: 1720 smart hard drive detects imminent failure. I replaced the hard drive with another new hard drive and still received the same error. I ran the diagnostic tests on the original hard drive with no detected problems. I remember at one time I had the same error coming up and HP had to replace a part on the motherboard. Am I having the same problem?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It is very unusual for a replacement disk-drive to cause the identical symptoms.  Very unlucky!

What is the model-number?

Some HP computers have a small memory-chip in a socket on the motherboard, to be used as a "high-speed cache".

It is configured as a disk-drive.

So, if it "fails", you get your reported symptoms.

Power-off the computer.

Disconnect the AC power.

Remove the side-panel.

Find and remove that memory-chip from its socket.

Replace the side-panel.

Connect the AC power.

Start it up, and see if the symptoms still are present.

Yes, Windows will run without that chip -- just slightly slower.

HP Recommended

The HP Desktop Number is HP ENVY PHoeniz 810-145ae CTO. Where is this memory chip located?

HP Recommended

Your computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04345573

is listed as having:      16 GB mSATA SSD Cache

It is this small chip, connected to a socket on the motherboard, that is the cause of your symptoms.

The fact that the replacement disk-drive did not "cure" the problem is an indication that the original disk-drive is OK.

Your computer's motherboard: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, MS-7826 (Kaili)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03748942 

has a picture of the motherboard.

In the picture, below the text: MS-7826 VER: 1.0

is a black-coloured socket (for PCI-E graphics adapter).

Below that is a white-coloured socket, for the mSATA chip.

Remove the chip.

Reboot, and the symptoms will not appear.

-----------------------------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Hi

I concur.

Usually advise clients to run the sytem without the mSATA drive after it fails or move the operating system to a larger Solid State Drive.

If performance is not acceptable after removing the mSATA drive you can always copy the operating system to a new 500GB or 1TB SSD. You can keep the HDD as a bootable HP operating system backup or use the HDD as a data drive. HP Recovery media requires an equivalent sized or greater target disc when restoring the HP factory image. 

So, this option may not work for you if you require the storage options HP offered at purchase (2TB or 3TB HDD's) and you want to keep the bootable HP HDD operating system offline or more importantly because the HP recovery media may not work on smaller disk drives. Recovering the operating system to a smaller target SSD can be accomplished using other disk imaging software. There are workarounds to any problem. A suitable course of action depends on your specific circumstances. Buying a new SSD to replace the current HDD also costs money.

Giving you additional options for your consideration.

Anyway, performance rebounds when you get rid of the HDD. The mSATA drive is also eliminated and unnecessary. Many clients could not deal with the reduced disk performance when only using a HDD. Their systems were subsequently upgraded to a SSD.

Larger SSD's were very expensive when your PC was manufactured. MB manufacturer's used this interface and small cache drive size to improve system responsiveness and keep costs under control.

SSD prices are very reasonable now.

Looking forward to hearing from mdklassen. Good working with you buddy! :Wink:

Tom

HP Recommended

This answer worked for me, although it took much time to identify the correct slot. Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.