Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi.
I've had this problem for a while and nothing has worked online
i have a HP-Z400 and everytime i try to boot it, it shows the message :

'209-Memory warning condition (WARN_MEM_TEST)  detected slot CPUO DIMM3'
'203-Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled slot CPU0 DIMM3'
'204-Memory module failed and user rank was disabled slot CPU0 DIMM4'

My keyboard and mouse are unresponsible, theres nothing I can do.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello
there is obviously a problem with the memory modules, or the motherboard may be
check how many modules are in place
If you have more than one, remove them.
take a module, place it in a slot, then restart
if that doesn't work, change the memory slot
do this every time, with every slot, and every module
If the computer starts, note the module used, leave it aside, and go to the next one

it' s this one ?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@tggame -- is this your computer: HP Z400 Workstation Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It has 6 sockets for RAM, to give three channels for accessing the RAM.

Note that the motherboard requires ECC RAM, not the usual non-ECC "consumer" RAM.

The web-page states that you should have one stick of RAM per channel, for best performance.

So, do not put 3 sticks into the first 3 sockets. Instead, for example, populate sockets #1 & #3 & #5.

There is no need for "guess-work" nor "experimentation" as to which stick of RAM is the "bad" stick.

The error-message indicates "bad" RAM in socket DIMM3 and in socket DIMM4.

It is curious that you have TWO "bad" sticks -- did you make a typo when you wrote "DIMM4" ?

So, remove the stick of RAM from the "DIMM3" socket, and see if the computer will boot.

You may choose to replace that stick, but be sure to purchase "ECC" RAM -- either 1 or 2 or 4 GB, to match your other sticks.

HP Recommended

"'203-Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled slot CPU0 DIMM3'
'204-Memory module failed and user rank was disabled slot CPU0 DIMM4' "
if I say to test each slot, and each module, it's not for nothing

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01704830.pdf

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

hi, i didn't make a typo it states a problem with dimm3 and 4 for some reason? /
thanks for your advice i'll try it right now

HP Recommended

hi, just tried this

the pc gets stuck on the same screen this time doesn't give an error message about DIMM3 or 4... however keyboard and mouse is STILL not responding and the only thing i can do is turn the pc off..

HP Recommended

@tggame -- what happens if you remove the stick of RAM from DIMM3 , and try to start your computer?

What happens if you then remove the stick of RAM from DIMM4, while leaving DIMM3 as "empty" ?

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

Hello
there is obviously a problem with the memory modules, or the motherboard may be
check how many modules are in place
If you have more than one, remove them.
take a module, place it in a slot, then restart
if that doesn't work, change the memory slot
do this every time, with every slot, and every module
If the computer starts, note the module used, leave it aside, and go to the next one

it' s this one ?

So you tried what I say here, @tggame 
test each memory module, in each slot? one by one
Finally, how many modules/memory slots do you have?

203—Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled
Defective memory module.
Replace the memory module.
204—Memory module failed and user rank was disabled
Improper module load.
Reseat the memory module correctly.
209—Memory warning condition detected
Incorrect memory module type in use.
Verify that the memory modules are compatible with workstation requirements.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.