Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP series 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

error msg on printing from internet. On printer screen, password is blank; I key in, accepted by printer but then it disappears and not print; error msg comes up; Repeat - need to keep password in default mode so I don't have to reenter. This problem just started 5 days ago.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@joplinoz 

Hello,

In a first time, please restore the printer to the factory default settings as follows:

1. From the Home screen, touch Setup icon ().
  2. Touch Tools, and then Restore.
  3. Touch Restore Factory Defaults, and then Yes or Continue.
    A message appears stating that the printer 
    defaults have been restored.
  4. The printer restarts automatically.

Then, use the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer control panel display to set up wireless communication.

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch Wireless icon ().
  2. Touch Settings, and then Wireless Setup Wizard.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the directions sent recently. However, that icon for restoration DOES NOT appear on my home screen of this model 3830. It appears after touching the wireless icon which is mentioned later in the steps. Thus far, I've never needed tools but I searched on all the icons - never found tools. So I followed the instructions on set up wizard as I did previously before contacting u. Once I type in my password on the limited, old fashioned keyboard (1-3 clicks of a letter), the item in queue to print, prints. Then the password is not remembered so it doesn't print the next time. Once I hit the restore defaults, type in password, etc. it looks all correct. The online box which asks if I want to fix? I've hit that 3-4 times in the last ten days . It tells me all is well but the error msg always says can't communicate with the printer. This printer was purchased last summer. 

HP Recommended

@joplinoz 

Hello and thanks for your return,

In a first time, please restore the printer to the factory default settings as follows:

1. From the Home screen, touch Setup icon ().
  2. Touch Printers Maintenance, and then Restore.
  3. Touch Restore Factory Defaults, and then Yes or Continue.
    A message appears stating that the printer 
    defaults have been restored.
  4. The printer restarts automatically.

Then, use the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer control panel display to set up wireless communication.

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch Wireless icon (

).
  2. Touch Settings, and then Wireless Setup Wizard.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of need.

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

I thank everyone trying to help with keeping my password saved. The help solutions just received include steps that I c no way to exercise with this 3830 series model. I don't c a setup icon on the home screen to begin with. There is a web services summary that comes up with "connected" & printer "on". That means I should be able to print but I can't unless I go into the wireless & start that process which includes my ability to laboriously enter the password on an abbreviated keyboard. Something may print that's in queue but if the queue is empty & I select say a coupon to print; nothing but error msg saying the computer can't communicate with the printer. However, the info on the printer says connected. WHEN I reenter my password; it doesn't hold - some problem somewhere.  Printer's Maintenance - don't c that anywhere in the choices I have on my screen; maybe higher level models have these choices. No continue button that I've noticed. I do have the wizard but I've been through those steps nearly 10 times or more in 10 days since the problem developed. I need help with getting this all accomplished, if possible, with the kind of screen I have & choices I have. Thanks so much.  Joplinoz

HP Recommended

@joplinoz 

Thanks for your return,

In order to palliate this incident, please try the following solution:

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer's USB port.
  2. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  3. Type control printers, then press Enter. The Devices and Printers window opens.
  4. Right-click HP OfficeJet 3830 series, then Remove device and Yes.
  5. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  6. Type printui /s /t2, then press Enter. The Print Server Properties window opens in the Drivers tab.
  7. Select HP OfficeJet 3830 series, then click Remove..., and then select Remove driver and driver package.
  8. Click OK, then Yes, and then Delete.
  9. Restart the computer.
  10. Launch the printer software installed on the desktop and click Connect a new printer.
  11. Select Manual Setup, then Next, and select Wireless, and then Next.
  12. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the printer installation.
  13. Try to print and scan.

In case of need, do not hesitate to contact us.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.