Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

12E9EAAF-08C7-44CD-99F1-D2B327251D54.jpeg

 I tried booting in legacy but it will not let me. At first I thought my hard drive was fried. Does this just mean I need to get a new windows to download? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If Windows is installed in EFI mode, you can't change the BIOS mode to Legacy because it uses a different hard drive partition table (MBR), and the GPT-formatted drive can't boot.

Run the F2 hard drive diagnostics test and see what it reports.

If the drive passes, then you can reinstall Windows, but I would select the EFI USB flash drive to boot from, not the Legacy one.

Your notebook was designed to run in EFI mode with Secure Boot enabled.

HP Recommended

 the first time I ran it passed the smart check but now it keeps saying thi

43BEB6E2-552B-46D1-B4F0-E0D5B6C7C7D2.jpeg

HP Recommended

If you set the BIOS back to the way it originally was (legacy mode disabled) and you are getting that error, you may have to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.