Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I did all the tests and the computer passed. When the computer boots up, it goes straight into the built in administrator and then shows the recovery manager/restoration incomplete/save log, details or retry. There is also the dos screen stating the system cannot find the drive specified. Help! I’ve been spending hours in trying to get it working.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DMcM6 

Based on your comments, it sounds like you tried to do a system reset and it failed -- as that is the only way I know that the HP recovery manager will launch automatically.

You said you did all the tests and the PC passed, so why did you do a system reset? 

If you did not do a reset, then what was the PC doing before this happened?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

My husband woke up the computer after being in the sleep mode and the screen was stuck.  Could not click on anything that would work, so he did a hard boot and when it rebooted, it came back on the system restore and he tried to restored then the built in administrator came on with the message of the restore could not complete.  I tried to add a user, but it will not allow it.  I took it to Best Buy for them to recover and to save all my pictures and videos on an external drive.  Hopefully they can restore the operating system.

HP Recommended

@DMcM6 

I hope you fare better than most do with the Geek Squad folks that Best Buy uses -- there are lots and lots of horror stories out there about them providing really poor support.

If your drive is not failing then my guess is that they will simply reinstall Windows on it, basically erasing everything your have -- including the stuff you want saved.  In that case, the stuff won't physically be gone, but it will be very difficult to recover.

If the drive is failing, they will replace it and then, probably install a Retail version of Windows, not the HP OEM version you currently have.  And the problem with that is it will not have any of the HP drivers your PC needs to function properly.  What they SHOULD do is use the HP Cloud Recovery option to create the correct Restore Media -- but I would be very, very surprised if they bother to do that.

I'm sure you will get a working PC back, but if it is missing the HP drivers, you would then need to come back here so we can see if there is an HP page where you can download and install them.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.