Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop 750-247c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can someone explain why the storage capacity of my C drive is one tenth of the total storage capacity of the entire hard drive.  I bought this computer about 3 weeks ago with specs as follows:

6th generation Intel Core i7-6700 processor

24GB DDR4 system memory

2TB hard drive

128GB SATA Solid State Drive

Now when I go to "Settings", click on "Systems" and then on "Storage", it shows the following:

This PC ( C: )

61.3 GB used out of 119

DATADRIVE1 ( 😧 )

306.7 MB used out of 1.81 TB

I have downloaded less than 1 GB of programs. This seems rediculous to have the C drive with such little storage space. Is this right or is there something wrong. This is how it came out of the box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, that is the way disk vendors use 128GB actually on ly 119.2 GB and 2 TB actually is 1.81 TB because they use decimal values when computers use binary values

128,000,000,000 / (1,024 * 1,024 * 1,0124)                 =     119.2 GB
2,000,000,000,000 /  (1,024 * 1,024 * 1,024 * 1,024) =     1.81 TB

You don't need heaps of storage for normal applications and OS, your machine has a second HDD for data.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, that is the way disk vendors use 128GB actually on ly 119.2 GB and 2 TB actually is 1.81 TB because they use decimal values when computers use binary values

128,000,000,000 / (1,024 * 1,024 * 1,0124)                 =     119.2 GB
2,000,000,000,000 /  (1,024 * 1,024 * 1,024 * 1,024) =     1.81 TB

You don't need heaps of storage for normal applications and OS, your machine has a second HDD for data.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you

HP Recommended

I don't get the solution  How or when does the D drive start getting information ?  The more I download the more the C drive fills up.

HP Recommended
Thanks for all your replies but the perfect solution for me was to return it to Costco and get a computer without an SSD Drive.
HP Recommended

> 2TB hard drive

> 128GB SATA Solid State Drive

So, your computer has _two_ disk-drives inside.

The 'C:' drive probably is the SSD drive -- very-fast disk-access, because it has NO moving parts, unlike the 2nd disk-drive.

So, store Windows on it, and install your applications on it.  Thus, Windows will boot-up much faster, and launching programs will be much quicker.

The 2TB disk-drive is very large -- always download and/or save your files onto this drive.

Until you traded-in your computer, you had the "best of both worlds" -- fast boot and fast launching of apps, and a large amount of storage for your files/music/pictures.

If you "disciplined" yourself to keeping your "data" on 'D:', it would simply your "backup" method -- simply copy "everything" on 'D:' to an external disk-drive.

HP Recommended
The problem was that any app or download would automatically save on the SSD even when I went and configured it to save on D drive. It would have been great if it would have asked me what dive I wanted to save to. Even when I called for tech support for this problem they couldn't tell me how to fix the problem. Got a Dell XPS and am very happy with it.
HP Recommended

> The problem was that any app or download would automatically save on the SSD even when I went and configured it to save on D drive.

Depends on which web-browser that you used to launch the download.

Google Chrome can be configured to specify the "download folder".

If you use Internet Explorer, you can use "Save As" to redirect the download to your 'D:' drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.