Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500 023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been every where except for the right place looking for the fix. I read many cases that are the same but no suggestions that work! Is there any help out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think you are correct and I should trash the drive. As a test I set it up to clone the drive. I used a good working computer thinking I'll clone from a known good drive to the one in question. Guess what !  The test did not find the drive to clone to. Since that was the case it told me the drive is history. While I was at it I cloned the known good drive to a SSD with the same setup and all worked fine!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

JKusmc

Since you have not even provided a cursory description of your problem, how can you expect any help?

You need to provide us some details, including the specific model number of your desktop:  Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

Perhaps then, we can provide some assistance.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The model is HP Pvilion 500 023w Destop When I se PC Doctor it says everythng pases excet for the HD is not bootable.

Everything I'v read tells me the drive is trash. I have replaced the Ram, powersupply and even the mothboard. Mother boards are hard to come by at $100.00 or higher and take 7-8 wees to get them. Since the hard drive was becoming unuseable I wiped it clean, reinstalled Windows 10. I could read and write to it but still not use it to boot.

Any help from HP quoted $300 or more. I told them I can buy a new one for $350.00. I have 9 computers, all HP Pavilion and working except for this HP 500. I work in electronics that explains some for the high number of PC's. It just bothers me not able to fix this one. Thanks for listening.   JKUSMC

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info ...

That PC does not have HP Win10 drivers.  It does have Win8.1 and you might be able to use those from this page:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-500-000-Desktop-PC-series/5358992/model/...

If that page does not show Win8x when you open it, then click CHANGE and select Windows 8x using the pulldown.

But, you might have to install them using compatibility mode:

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input. I took your advice and tried installing Windows 8  and it said system does not qualify!

All the checks I'v made on the system says all the drivers are Windows 10. Earlier I used Microsoft Media Tool and installed a stand alone Windows 10 System. Everything seems to be in place but nothing sees that drive, not even a clone try.

HP Recommended

The comments you have made about that drive indicate that it behaves intermittently.  You said it was trash but then, you said you could read and write it, but it would not boot.  Now, you're saying that the PC does not even see the drive.

If you can connect the drive to a working PC using a USB-to-Hard Drive adapter, you can try using this partitioning tool to do a surface test of the drive:  Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

However, if it was my drive, I would regard it as useless and replace it, because even if it works once, with its history of failures, the next time you need it, it might fail -- again.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

HP Recommended

I think you are correct and I should trash the drive. As a test I set it up to clone the drive. I used a good working computer thinking I'll clone from a known good drive to the one in question. Guess what !  The test did not find the drive to clone to. Since that was the case it told me the drive is history. While I was at it I cloned the known good drive to a SSD with the same setup and all worked fine!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.