Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0063na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, would anyone have a correct BIOS for my PC? I have been on the main HP support site, quoting my serial number, and sit advises no software is available for this model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your PC.

HP Pavilion 590-p0063na Product Specifications | HP® Support

It has a Lincs motherboard with a SSID of 843B

According to the support page for your PC, this would be the latest BIOS update for that SSID:

HP Pavilion Desktop PC 590-p0000i Software and Driver Details

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you for the link. I have installed it onto a FAT formatted USB drive, and holding down the Windows+b keys started the PC. After around 20secs, I get the beeps as expected then this message on the screen. When the PC is restarted, nothing happens. I have left it at this point for 30 mins. Am I missing something here?Bios.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Did you follow HP's guidance on making the USB recovery drive?

Updating the BIOS on HP Consumer Desktops outside of Windows 11| HP Computers| HP Support - YouTube

After you create the USB BIOS recovery drive, follow the instructions that show up after the USB recovery drive has been successfully created, which are normally these...

1. Power off the device to be recovered.

2. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.

3. Power on the device.

4. The device may reboot up to 3 times with indicator lights on the keyboard flashing, or the screen appearing blank for short time.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice Paul. Followed all your steps, but no luck unfortunately. Looks like I will need to source a new motherboard, rather annoying seeing as I only changed the bios setting to secure boot  for Windows 11 upgrade when all went south. Great forum though, keep up the good work!

HP Recommended

Many folks posting here seem to think that replacing a motherboard is a simple matter like replacing a memory stick or a disk drive.

It is NOT!!!

Before you spend any money to attempt to replace the HP motherboard, you need to be aware of the issues involved with doing that.

First, HP does not sell motherboards.

Second, any motherboard you buy elsewhere will be USED, having been taken from another PC. Those often do not work, or have internal problems that the seller does not disclose. So, you need to buy it from a seller that will refund your money if the motherboard does not work properly -- many of them will NOT do this because the item is USED.

Third, the licensed Windows version that came preloaded on your PC is an HP OEM Version -- and that license is tied to the original motherboard, not to the PC owner. When you toss away that motherboard, you toss away the license -- and HP will not provide you a second license. Since the versions of Windows you can buy will not activate with the embedded HP OEM license, you will have to buy a Retail version of Windows, and a license to go with it. You will then have to replace the installed Windows version on your laptop with the version you bought and license it. We are not able to assist in any of that work.

The bottom line is the process is a lot more difficult than simply swapping one part for another.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @GaryG9 

Sorry that you were not able to fix the BIOS.

Regarding a replacement motherboard...below is the link to the Lincs motherboard part number that has the Windows OEM product key in the BIOS. 

HP motherboards that have Windows product keys are identified by the -601 suffix on the part number.   If the suffix is -001 that motherboard does not have a Windows product key.

HP PartSurfer

In a situation like this after you get the PC up and running, Windows will ask to be activated since it will detect a new motherboard and the Windows activation servers will flag it as needing activation.

All you need to do is to change the installed product key to the new OEM product key in the PC settings menu and you should be good to go.

You can install the free Showkey Plus app from the Microsoft Store that will show you the installed key and the OEM product key.

ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Apps

The motherboard is not orderable from HP, so you would have to find one on the secondary market.

This is the cheapest one I could find that has a Windows product key in the BIOS.

HP Pavilion 590 LGA1151 17514-1 Intel CFL H370 Lincs Motherboard 942012-601 | eBay

The seller claims the motherboard has never been used, but that presents another issue.

It will have no identifying information in the BIOS so you may have to take your PC to a PC repair shop that has the proprietary HP BIOS DMI tool for them to program your PC's info into the BIOS (model number, product number, serial number, etc.).

HP Recommended

I am not too bothered about the OEM Windows licence, as the PC already had a version of Win 10 Pro on it, and when I have changed motherboards on other ( non HP ) machines in the past, a phone call to Microsoft has fixed the licencing issue. Re the DMI part, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJuJZNOuXg&t=252s&ab_channel=IT-Tube, which is quite easy to follow, ......but my question is, this video makes the assumption that you can boot into Windows to make these chnages to the BIOS info. Will a new motherboard boot into Windows without that info being already there, and at what point does the correct info need to be input? Apologies to the experts out there, as I have not had much dealing with HP kit before. Kind regards.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that I do not know.

I'm pretty sure at a minimum the BIOS will generate an error such as missing system information, but I don't know if you can just press the F1 key to continue to boot into Windows or not.

I've never had to do that before.

I only buy and own HP and Dell business class desktop PC's, and on the one occasion I had to replace a motherboard on a HP 8200 Elite convertible mini-tower, I bought a used motherboard for $25, and was easily able to change the system information in the BIOS using a couple of key stokes.

But there was already information programmed in the BIOS.

Solved: invalid electronic serial number after motherboard swap out,... - HP Support Community - 140...

This method will not work for your PC.

That was an interesting video.

Hopefully it will work for your PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.