Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
CompaqElite 8300
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

I hope that this is in the correct forum.

We still have a few of the CompaqElite 8300 sff computers and they need the BIOS update that was recently released. I downloaded SP85516 and attempted to run the update the BIOS from K01 v02.05 to K01 v03.06. The update will make the back up of the current BIOS and then flash the BIOS. When it comes to the restart, the computer boots right back into the OS without updating the BIOS. Any idea on what may be happening? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I presume that you are referring to: HP Compaq Elite 8300 All-in-One Desktop PC - ROM Firmware for 8300 Elite and 6300 Pro Business PCs (... released on February 22, 2018.

The document states:

Fixes:

- Provides the latest Intel Microcode versions 0x1F for Ivy Bridge processors and 0x2D for Sandy Bridge processors.
- Adds a new BIOS Setup policy to allow the Power On Password prompt when Wake On LAN is enabled.

NOTE: This new setting will be enable [sic] by default, and will prompt for Power On Password during a Wake on LAN event.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed. 

Installation instructions:

1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions (Windows Only).

--------------------

I see nothing there to describe what is happening when you run the downloaded file. Sorry!

HP Recommended

Yes sir. That is the computer that I am referring to. When I run the downloaded file, it runs as it is supposed to. It makes a backup of the BIOS and then shows that is flashing the BIOS.  That is working correctly. The issue is when the computer restarts, it never boots back up to the HPQFlash utility to actually update the BIOS. It boot right back into the OS. When I check the BIOS version, it is still K01 v2.09. I have combed the event viewer looking for any clues as to why it doesn't complete. I wish it would throw an error, then I could put it on here. I should have inquired to see if anyone else is seeing this same behavior.

HP Recommended

I should have posted this also. I was actually referring to this BIOS update:

This is the one that is not completing.

HP Recommended

And disregard my last post with the link. I didn't read through it completely. My apologies.

HP Recommended

I should have posted this also. I was actually referring to this BIOS update:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85501-86000/sp85516.exe

This is the one that is not completing.

Yes, that '.exe' file is listed on the page at that hyperlink that I posted, above.

When I run the above '.exe' file on my (non-HP) computer, it creates a folder:

C:\swsetup\sp85516

on my computer.

One of the files created in that folder is "Bios Flash.htm", and Internet Explorer opens, to load this file.

Did you follow the comprehensive instructions within this file to perform the BIOS update?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Yes sir! Step by step. These are my windows when I launch the HPQFlash Utility. This all runs fine. It's on the restart is where I have the issue. I'll keep digging in other areas also.

Flash Wizard.PNGFlashing BIOS.PNGFlash Restart.PNG

HP Recommended

I discovered the resolution! In order to upgrade the BIOS to v03.06, you need to currenlty have v02.99 on the computer. The 17 computers that I have on my list are running BIOS v02.09. I upgraded to 02.99 on my test machine and then using PDQ Deploy, I deployed my v.3.06 version to the test computer. It is now running v.3.06. I have to thank you as you pointed me the right direction with your link. Once I drilled down into that farther. I found what I was looking for! Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi...

I have the same issue. 

May I ask where to download the version 02.99. I can't find it on HP site anymore?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Vastien wrote:

I have the same issue. 

May I ask where to download the version 02.99. I can't find it on HP site anymore?

Here is a chronological list of the BIOS updates.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73099.html
TITLE: ROM Firmware for 8300 Elite and 6300 Pro Business PCs (K01)
VERSION: v02.99 REV: A PASS: 1
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 19, 2015

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76230.html
VERSION: 03.02 REV: A PASS: 1
SUPERSEDES: SP73099
EFFECTIVE DATE: June 09, 2016

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77361.html
VERSION: 03.03 REV: A PASS: 1
SUPERSEDES: SP76230
EFFECTIVE DATE: September 07, 2016

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77888.html
VERSION: 03.04 REV: A PASS: 1
SUPERSEDES: SP77361
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 07, 2016

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85501-86000/sp85516.html
VERSION: 00.03.06 REV: A PASS: 1
NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed.
SUPERSEDES: SP77888
EFFECTIVE DATE: February 22, 2018

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.