Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPPro 3300 MT
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Original motherboard and v7.16 BIOS which is AMI. Board labelled AMI Aptio DT 2006 AD037971. Only system updates have been 8 GB RAM and replacement HDD. Attempted to install ASUS GT710-SL-2GD5 graphics card in 16x PCI slot. It installed, and worked after a fashion with improved playing of video. However, when card installed it became impossible to open BIOS with F2 or F10. It also took a long tome to boot into Windows. I removed the card and decided to try what now seems an unwise plan. The BIOS setup became accessible again and I disabled the PCI 16x slot with a view to enabling/ disabling the ASUS card without physically taking it in and out, so that I could try to make it work properly. The machine then refused to boot beyond the first page which identifies the 8 GB RAM. I have tried everything to persuade the system to start, with and without the ASUS card in place. It will display SETUP on pressing F10 at startup, but won't go any farther. I have tried the forum for BIOS failure routines, placing the BIOS v7.16 files on a USB, pressing Windows-B and everything else I can think of. I even tried an ancient page from this support site which referred to renaming the *****.ROM file on the USB to HPBIOS.ROM and trying to boot with Ctrl-Home - this produced no effect at all. This is not surprising as that page stipulates putting that file on a boot floppy, and this board has no floppy controller! So what I am trying to do is revert to the BIOS settings in which the x16 slot is NOT disabled- is the system waiting for something from the ASUS card which it now can't receive because I disabled the slot? Is there anyone there with experience of these old motherboards? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Just Clear CMOS  and you should be fine.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks, but I had already tried all the easy stuff like clearing CMOS. I haven't cleared passwords though, because that's the only connection I have with the system board.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.