Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-339c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A while back, I was able to get into my BIOS and UEFI menu no-problem. Only a few days ago, it freezes up completely when I attempt to enter it, and I'm forced to restart my PC. I can get into the BIOS menu easily, but I'm trying to enable secure boot. To confirm this, the next boot asks to put in a code. It's frozen and I can't do anything. I managed to hit ESC before it looped itself again and again. Please, if anybody knows a solution, please help. The HP Support assistant didn't find any updates for anything too.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Sounds like the BIOS may be messed up or you may have a component problem.

Try resetting BIOS defaults on the main BIOS menu if you can get to this screen. This action should enable Secure boot.

I would also run HP Diagnostics to check the system and check components.

Tap "ESC"

Then select "F2".

Run all tests. Some test may take a while.

Do the following with the system disconnected from AC power and in an anti static free environment.

Remove the CR2032 MB battery. Let the PC sit for about 15 minutes. Test this battery or replace with a new battery.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply! I’ll definitely look into what you suggested. I am quite convinced that this is a hardware issue, but the weird thing is that I’m able to get into the BIOS menu. All I can’t do is use the start-up menu from when you try to launch into the BIOS from settings.

I also made a mistake, I’m trying to disable Secure-Boot. The reason why I cant is the confirmation screen is frozen just like the startup menu. Other than that, everything works fine.

I ran the diagnostics test, and everything came back as fine.

HP Recommended

Hi Elia3,

It has to be a component problem or a BIOS problem if the system locks up when entering the BIOS or doing BIOS modifications such as disabling Secure boot.

Are you running the PC with only a keyboard, mouse, and monitor? I am surprised Windows runs correctly. This is my impression since you have not indicated otherwise.

There is a 2018 BIOS update (Link) for your PC. Don't know if it will help. I am reluctant to suggest doing this update because your PC is locking up when messing with the BIOS.

A bad BIOS update could turn your PC into a paperweight.

I don't want to be responsible for causing more problems than you already have.

Do you have an extended HP warranty?

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.