Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Oh bother - it rather looks as though some diagnostic effort is required here! 🙄

I know that there is a fault with the Nvidia driver - it isn't handling a request or an exception 'elegantly' - but I don't know the root cause of that issue.

It could be a Windows 11 change but I rather doubt it. If it were, I'd expect more reaction from the community at large, and, as far as I am aware, W11 is little more than window dressing - the underlying core of W10 remains intact underneath. Either way I'd be reluctant to simply roll back to W10 even if I did have an easy option to do that - the "Go back" recovery option is greyed out ...

I run a pretty vanilla set-up - a stock Envy running the latest versions of HP and Microsoft software. The most 'exciting' feature of the set-up is running a dual monitor configuration. Most importantly, nothing has changed in terms of configuration over the past year or so.

The only exception to that is that I am now running the latest version of the Nvidia driver from the SD stream - this looks to be the December monthly update. I'll persist with this for now and will apply the January update when it becomes available. And repeat until the problem goes away or I somehow find a proper resolution for it.

It is, of course, possible that this is a graphics card error - hardware rather than software. I don't have an alternative test bed for the card, nor, indeed, any test that could reliably force the error. I will hunt out what diagnostics I can to try in-situ ...

Meanwhile, I guess I'd better try to work out / record exactly what I was doing when the BSOD occurs. I suspect that in all cases I was running Chrome and working on the Ancestry website ... Quite how using a standard browser and a web app should / could cause such an error - if, indeed, it does - is a mystery to me ...

Philip
HP Recommended

Sorry, to find the cause of the problem
you have to be able to do tests
it was only a proposal, since you had said:
"Since upgrading to Windows 11 I've been suffering the occasional BSOD -"

Errors of this type can be a whole.
Hardware problem, graphics card, if we can not test this ..
Overheating.
System problem, drivers etc!
i don't expect much from this, but just in case, full tests!

HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I suspect that I should tempt fate and close this thread - problem "gone away" rather than solved.

No one has said "me too" and, having had BSODs on 23/11, 17/12, 19/12 and 25/12, I haven't seen one since so it's time to call it a day - it'll go down as "just one of those things".

Thanks to those who provided input and suggestions ... 🙂

Philip
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.