Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp stream 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I can get into the secure erase in bios but i can not proceed past that point. It asks to enter the displayed password to complete the operation. Here's the problem, Its 4 digits + Enter. Do i hit each number then enter? Or do i hold down the number keys then enter? Do i add the plus key with it? Push or hold the buttons? If you answered yes to anyone of those then i have done that a hundred times and nothing happens. I have entered the password in every combination i can think of. The only thing that does happen is every so often the digits in the password would change.

I believe it has a virus because i cant format or remove certain programs/files and was looking to just wipe it and move on. I dont want to use my official boot usb in case the virus infects it.

I haven't found any information on forums or whatnot. Any ideas would help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Simi-comp_pro Welcome to HP Community!

What 4 digit password are you referring to? Could you share a screenshot so I know exactly what you mean?

Meanwhile, here's what you may want to check:

Use one of these tools depending on the age of your computer and whether you have a hard drive or solid-state drive.

Current PCs: On computers purchased in 2011 or later, access HP Disk Sanitizer or Secure Erase through the BIOS using the following steps:

1. Turn on or restart the computer.

2. While the display is blank, press the F10 key repeatedly to enter the BIOS settings menu. The BIOS settings menu is accessible by pressing the F2 or the F6 key on some computers.

3. Select Security.

4. Select Hard Drive Utilities or Hard Drive Tools.

5. Select Secure Erase or Disk Sanitizer to open the tool.

NOTE: 

For products sold from 2009-2011, you might need to install the tool by updating the BIOS. See HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS or HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS for instructions.

Older PCs: For older PCs sold before 2009 that do not have this tool, download the softpaq sp40109 and create a CD or USB boot. When executing sp40109.exe, a folder will be created in C:\SWSetup\sp40109.

You can record a Disksan.iso on a CD or create a pen drive Boot and copy the files from the folder to the pen drive and execute in the boot the Disksan.exe command.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.