Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
TG01-0170M
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I decided to upgrade the Bios to the current version HP had available, which was F.11 released Dec 2. 2019. My Bios version prior was F.03. After using the HP tool to download and install the update it seemed to install fully and restart, but after about 30sec to a min after booting into Windows normally it either Blue screens or outright crashes and restarts. This happens with every restart. I cant rollback the Bios because it cant open a signature file, and i cant restore Windows cause i didnt have a restore point made and my PC wasnt shipped with a recovery disc since my Tower doesnt have an optical drive. Im stuck.

I'll note that my Windows is installed on an SSD. Ive seen some similar cases mention that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update:

Ive tried every method and even consulted a local computer repair shop, who was unable to repair/recover Windows because every attempt either failed or crashed the PC. Other then sending my PC back to Hewlett Packered to be repaired by them, which i ultimately chose, the only option the local Tech could think of was to completely replace the Motherboard, and because this model is a Small Form Factor PC, i would need to replace the MB, the Power Supply, the Case, all on top of purchasing another license of Windows 10.

Lesson of the day? DON'T UPDATE YOUR HP BIOS. Even if they say you should. If it works out of the box, don't touch it. Updating my BIOS with a version released by HP, using HP's own install Tool, basically bricked my computer. 

And to rub salt in the wound, HP Tech Support immediately tried claiming i somehow installed the Bios update improperly, and because of that they wouldnt repair it for me at first.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-tg01-0000-desktop-pc-series/29014479/manuals

HP Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 8643)
F.11Rev.A 12.9 MB Dec 2, 2019
HP Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 8653)
F.11Rev.A 12.3 MB Dec 13,2019

The SSID is critical and you have a Main Board 8643 ??

C:\SP100358>dir

20/02/2020 08:54 16,777,216 08643.bin
20/02/2020 08:54 256 08643.sig
02/12/2019 02:50 15,161,008 08643F11.exe

From 2016 onwards there is a possible recovery option via the cloud...
HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 7 & 10)
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Try going into BIOS (F10) and load setup defaults. Save and exit. Does that make any difference?

HP Recommended

Update:

Ive tried every method and even consulted a local computer repair shop, who was unable to repair/recover Windows because every attempt either failed or crashed the PC. Other then sending my PC back to Hewlett Packered to be repaired by them, which i ultimately chose, the only option the local Tech could think of was to completely replace the Motherboard, and because this model is a Small Form Factor PC, i would need to replace the MB, the Power Supply, the Case, all on top of purchasing another license of Windows 10.

Lesson of the day? DON'T UPDATE YOUR HP BIOS. Even if they say you should. If it works out of the box, don't touch it. Updating my BIOS with a version released by HP, using HP's own install Tool, basically bricked my computer. 

And to rub salt in the wound, HP Tech Support immediately tried claiming i somehow installed the Bios update improperly, and because of that they wouldnt repair it for me at first.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.