Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 27-p000 All-in-One Desktop PC series (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Was doing updates and believe I was on the bios update and the system froze. Not thinking, turned off the PC which likely corrupted the bios. Getting 8 beeps and a black screen.

I've tried

hard power reset

windows + B on bootup

moving the cmos to clear cmos (took out the motherboard battery and left it for a few days)

Can't get to work. It only beeps after I do a change ( like remove the motherboard battery, move cmos pins etc).

Im out of ideas...can someone help me out?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Bucknut05

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out

As I understand the computer isn't turning on anymore & it creates beeping noises,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you reset the computer to release excessive static?

We need to identify what the beeps represent before attempting the bios recovery (win+B)

While you respond to that, The best way to do that is using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

To identify & understand what the blink codes on your caps lock represent: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So the troubleshooter is pointing towards using a recovery USB drive ( 8 beeps). I tried creating the recovery USB drive on another PC (non-HP) and the .exe does not launch into the HP Recovery gui in order to create the flash drive. It just extracts the files to my c: drive and then quits with no errors. Any idea how to get the flash drive created on another PC?

Can I just copy the ME_1001.bin file to the formated Fat32 USB drive and use that or are there other files needed?

HP Recommended

@Bucknut05

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm afraid you cannot create a recovery media on an other computer in the hopes of using it on another device,

As the recovery media is encrypted to work only on the device its created from.

If you are not able to create the recovery media, you may order on online: Click here for details.

If the issue persists and you are not able to reinstall the OS, please Contact HP to have the device either repaired or replaced:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

so if the bios gets corrupted the only option is to pay for the recovery USB which *may* or may not work?  If I were to replace the bios on the motherboard with a new chip, would that work? If so, what's the model number of the bios chip for this board?

HP Recommended

@Bucknut05

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Perhaps, I should clarify: A recovery media that I had been referring to, re installs the OS of your device,

However, according to your last response, you are referring to a BIOS Recovery and that's entirely a different story.

You can download the BIOS recovery file from any computer and use it via any USB drive, that should work just fine,

And if that doesn't, you will need to Contact HP to have it repaired as we do not recommend or support replacing chips on the motherboard.

I hope the clarification helps!

If I have helped you with the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes that's the part I'm seeking help on. Per your link, step 5 of the desktop version says" HP BIOS Update and Recovery opens."  This does not happen for me. I click next on the license and agreement page and then nothing happens. Need to know how to address that or if I can simply place the right files on fat32 formated USB stick instead.

thanks!

HP Recommended

@Bucknut05

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you contact HP phone support and they will assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to autodetects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How did you resolve this problem? any update??

HP Recommended

@devipatti

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.