Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Desktop PC570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 1903 update ends with a 'live' monitor but the screen is black and I have no cursor. Keyboard won't activate anything.

Have tried at least 3 times using different strategies without success and have to roll back to 1809. Update list suggests that at least one of the updates had taken but version is still listed as 1809.

Helper insists that system ok for update.

Had updated graphics drivers but had to roll back as they were generating a fractured BSOD.

Any ideas? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Is PC570 the full product number of your PC? The product number should be on a sticker affixed to your PC's chassis.

Did you try shutting down (depress the power switch or disconnect AC power from the device) and restarting your PC after the black screen update?

The only suggestion I have is to try the update with only a keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected to your PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding.

PC570-p018na is full product code - have upgraded RAM and the NVme SSD. Win10/64/Home

Power off restarts just fail (until attempt 3)

Initial update was via normal Windows service (may have tried this twice).

Then via a thumb drive (with all usb removed apart from keyboard and mouse)

Then through the assistant. At this point there were said to be issues so I paused and only tried the assistant again yesterday.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You could have a graphics driver problem requiring an update or you may need a BIOS update;  both to be applied when running 1809.

You may be able to update to 1903 after installing the above updates.

But I can't find 570-p018na. I did find 570-p019na.

570-p019na has a BIOS update and an Intel graphics driver update for 1903. 

I don't know what product you have so I can't recommend trying the updates.

Some 570 series PCs have Intel, AMD, or Nvidia graphics. HP is using three different motherboards (MB) in the 570 series PCs, each MB requires a specific BIOS update identified by the MB SSID.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks again.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05440435 is my base model.

Think the only substantive difference with the '19' is that the '18' has an NVME SSD installed, (I upgraded that to 500Mb from 128 recently with no issues, having upgraded the RAM to 16Gb immediately after purchase, months ago).

It's interesting that the HP Support Assistant doesn't indicate that either of those updates were available and even via the web interface you have to force a BIOS update - sorted.

Graphics driver was more obscure as the web based assistant doesn't indicate which of the dozen or so might be ok (and selecting the 1903 one had no impact as it just did an overwrite of the original 1703 driver, then aborted itself). [The AMD site is even more confusing!]

In the end I found the Radion 7 update option via settings and it did an update too (but still only a 2017 version).

... and the result; black screen and no cursor. So here I am back with 1809!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.