Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17 w253nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Before yesterday, my computer worked perfectly since the day I bought it. After turning on my PC, a windows update made. Then the starting was very long. I waited ten minutes for my wallpaper and icons to display. Then all the programs that open every time when I start my PC started but took a very long time and all were not responding. I waited like 20min until i finally closed all these and could actually click where I want.

Then, I restarted my Pqc thinking all will work perfecrly now, but instead, after putting my passeword, the "welcome" page is very long and after that I'm stuck with a black screen where I can just see my mouse cursor and mouve it. 

I tried many keys combinaisons to open the task manager. I don't seem to work (maybe I don't do this correctly). I really don't know what to do and lose my memory will be the worst thing than can arrive to me. 

I'd really like some help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Dear Nicholas,

This is a Windows 10 update issue - and very common. You will see hundreds of posts here - describing the same as yours.

The answer/solution is always the same ... let the Windows system complete the update, without touching it (the computer).

The process is multiple stage - thus Windows will turn-on and turn off your computer several times - before the process is completed.

The first time the Windows update restarts the computer, is when most people think it is complete (as you have done), then try to take control/make it work normally ... which causes a lot of internal errors ... and can (if repeated) destroy the installation/your private data and settings.

Solution;

1. Power off (off button on computer), then power-off at the wall plug ... walk away for five minutes.

2. Come back and remove all external devices, except the keyboard, mouse (if applicable), and LAN or modem/network cable.

3. Turn the computer on ( making sure the LAN/modem is power-on) ... then leave the computer running.

Do not touch it. Do not touch the keyboard. Do not click the mouse.

The time required for recovery is related to how much/how many errors have been cause by (your) interfering with Windows update. Most cases it takes three to four hours (can be six hours).

The screen may appear blank for long periods (not needed), but you will here the system is doing things (machine/fan noise) and see the main Hard (or SS) Drive light active - periodically. It is working - leave it alone.

When the Windows normal log-on screen appears (beach cave - looking to sea - in most cases) and is steady/static (no change) for fifteen minutes ... then you can reasonably expect the system is recovered/operational.

This is no fault of you HP Computer - rather Windows Update. If not happy try complaining to them, however they do not appear to listen.

Rick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.