Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion All in 1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, I’m sorry if I’m sounded piss but I am. After 20hours of multiple windows recovery and WhatsApp and email exchanges after 2 weeks. I’m on the verge of giving up and let the “Activate Window” screen pester me till the end of life of my pavilion. 

Purchased my HP Pavilion All-In-1 back in 2015 and 4 days before the launch of Windows 10. 

Did a free upgrade soon after with no issue. 

Due to some issue with Citrix a couple weeks ago, with system crashing multiple time. Did a system recovery back to win 8.1 as win 10 is corrupted. 

All is well on win 8.1 with all installation (even Citrix which was causing the crash) till the most annoying thing that could happen. 

”Activate Windows” screen began to screen bomb every now and then. 

Seek help from HP Technical support via WhatsApp and email. Have provided a tons of screenshots and details but concluded with “Please contact Microsoft as it is a windows product key issue” after 2 weeks. 

Contacted Microsoft via phone and provided the Blocked product key. Microsoft also explained the issue was due to the product key maximum limit being reached and solution is to get HP to increase the maximum limit. Microsoft could not provide the issue and identification in writing but has logged a case number. 

Tried replying to HP technical support team but gotten an auto reply that my case has been closed and resolved. 

Raised a new case and have to repeat myself all over again to a different support staff. Reply was that it might be a motherboard issue and advised me to bring my machine to the service centre. Case was marked as closed and resolved in the fastest ever possible time. 

Can someone with some senses please help me out here or at least let me know that it is a hopeless case and I have to be a “pirate” window user. 

No offense, but my entire experience of the support process from India was that they were really  just passing the bucket around and hope that somehow the issue magically goes again. 

Thanks and happy Thursday!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KyTan 

The MS view (I am not saying this is RIGHT) is that when you Upgraded from Win8x to Win10, they "reused" your Win8 x key to activate Win10.  That means that legally, you can no longer use that key for Win8x because that amounts to using one key for two different OS installations -- which in THEIR view, is a licensing violation.  So, there is no solution from MS.

Additionally, HP does NOT sell OEM keys, nor do they provide additional keys to customers that have already used their one key.  So, there is no solution from HP, either.

This whole dilemma is basically cause by MS's "free" upgrades to Win10 which cost folks their Win7/8 licenses.  Had they charged some trivial fee (like the $40 I paid to Upgrade to Win8 from Win7), this would not be an issue because the Win10 keys would all be new, not reused.

So yes, you are stuck using the "solution" you mentioned -- unless you can find someplace online to sell you a legal Win8.1 key -- and the problem with that, is you are most likely running an HP OEM version of Win8x, and the only keys you are going to be able to find online are Retail or System Builder, not OEM.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@KyTan 

The MS view (I am not saying this is RIGHT) is that when you Upgraded from Win8x to Win10, they "reused" your Win8 x key to activate Win10.  That means that legally, you can no longer use that key for Win8x because that amounts to using one key for two different OS installations -- which in THEIR view, is a licensing violation.  So, there is no solution from MS.

Additionally, HP does NOT sell OEM keys, nor do they provide additional keys to customers that have already used their one key.  So, there is no solution from HP, either.

This whole dilemma is basically cause by MS's "free" upgrades to Win10 which cost folks their Win7/8 licenses.  Had they charged some trivial fee (like the $40 I paid to Upgrade to Win8 from Win7), this would not be an issue because the Win10 keys would all be new, not reused.

So yes, you are stuck using the "solution" you mentioned -- unless you can find someplace online to sell you a legal Win8.1 key -- and the problem with that, is you are most likely running an HP OEM version of Win8x, and the only keys you are going to be able to find online are Retail or System Builder, not OEM.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot WAWood. Your explanation does make sense. Basically this is in no men’s land. Have a great weekend!!!

HP Recommended

@KyTan,

You can get a legal 8.1 Pro from this site.  It is a download, and the key via email.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@KyTan 

If you go to the online site and buy the key, you will need to CONFIRM that the key comes with a copy of Win8 Pro -- as it looks like that from the site info, but I've never used this site, so I can't attest to that.

Saying that because I don't think you can use a Pro key to activate an OEM copy of Windows.

You could try using this utility to retrieve the existing key:  ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

The Win8x key is embedded into the firmware of the motherboard of the PC and that utility can find it there.  If a different key was used to activate Windows, it will also find that key.

You might be able to reactivate Win8x by manually entering the product key from the report.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.