Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About 10 days ago I bought new sticks of ram to replace the one that came with my PC. Ever since installing the ram, I have gotten a blue screen error with stop code "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" multiple times. This happens at random times, whether I'm on the internet or playing a game. I ran a memory diagnostic through Windows and it said that there was a problem with the ram and I should contact the manufacturer. Why is this error happening and what can I do to solve it?

My PC: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05389962

The ram: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0123ZCD36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would say the new RAM is the culprit.

Put the factory RAM in the system to see if the error is related the the new RAM.

Crucial Memory (Link) is a good place to buy HP compatible RAM.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you for the response. I have realized that the factory RAM is DDR4-2666 and the RAM that I bought is DDR4-2133. Could that be the problem?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Your PC accepts the following RAM modules per HP (Link).

• Dual channel (one DIMM per channel) memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports the following:
    • PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)
    • PC4-19200 (DDR4-2400) (with Pavilion Power chassis only)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
    NOTE: 
    Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

2133 should work. But you have to match timings. Use CPU-Z (Link) to check memory specs for HP's memory modules and the new memory modules if possible. Or check the timings for the new modules at the manufacturer's web site.

The timings of the new 2133 memory may not agree with HP's factory memory. I am surprised HP provided 2666 memory when HP specs only show a 2400 memory option.

Again, Crucial memory should provide memory upgrade options that work. Crucial has a very good return policy if the purchased memory is incompatible.

Regards
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.