Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP20 All-in-one

My computer randomly switched off and I now only have a blue screen with error message 0xc0000034 telling me my computer needs repairing because the Boot Configuration Data file is missing info. It says I need the recovery tools from my installation media but I have no idea where that might be. I ran some kind of simple and extensive hardware diagnostic test that I found on a HP Q&A page. All passed. I'm not too sure what the OS is - I think Windows 8 but don't quote me. What could I do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi 

You're very welcome.

You have a All In One PC (Link).

You should be able to get needed files off the PC if the HDD is okay. You have to disassemble the PC to remove the HDD. 

You might want to find a good, local PC tech to do this if you are not comfortable with this procedure.

You would have to install this drive in a different PC to get to the drive or use a SATA to USB adapter to access this drive via a external USB port on a different PC.

You can get a Windows 8.1 ISO at this Microsoft site (Link) if you want to try fixing the boot loader.

Then download and run this Microsoft tool (Link) to convert the ISO file to bootable media.

This site (Link) explains how to use Windows installation media to repair your PC when the boot loader is corrupt.

There are a lot of steps involved in trying to fix the boot problem.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Please provide a complete HP 20 AIO product number.

This will help me to proceed with assistance.

Knowing the operating system you are now using makes it easier to tell you how to get installation media. Did you update to windows 10?

Windows 10 installation media is easier to make versus creating Windows 8.1 installation media.

I am pretty sure W8.x install media is an ISO file. You have to convert the ISO to bootable media before you can troubleshoot your problem.

I don't work with W8.x now. Microsoft may have a tool to create W8.x boot media, can't remember.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for responding and apologies for the delay. The product number is J1F89AA#ABG.

To be honest, I'm less concerned about the computer than I am the files on it and I don't really know much about any of this, so I'm worried that in attempting to repair what's going on, I will risk losing my files. Is this a possibility and if so, since the hard drive doesn't seem to be corrupted, would it be better to get it out and transferred to another computer?

HP Recommended

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. If it is Windows 8, I don't think I have updated it to Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Hi 

You're very welcome.

You have a All In One PC (Link).

You should be able to get needed files off the PC if the HDD is okay. You have to disassemble the PC to remove the HDD. 

You might want to find a good, local PC tech to do this if you are not comfortable with this procedure.

You would have to install this drive in a different PC to get to the drive or use a SATA to USB adapter to access this drive via a external USB port on a different PC.

You can get a Windows 8.1 ISO at this Microsoft site (Link) if you want to try fixing the boot loader.

Then download and run this Microsoft tool (Link) to convert the ISO file to bootable media.

This site (Link) explains how to use Windows installation media to repair your PC when the boot loader is corrupt.

There are a lot of steps involved in trying to fix the boot problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Ah thank you, this was very helpful!

HP Recommended

Hi KMCK1,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.