Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 24 all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A blue screen displayed with bad_system_configuration. I tried to reset the PC but it would not let me. I bought a Windows 10 CD tried to repair it through Reset my PC and a message displayed: the drive where the windows is installed is locked.

I am really stuck. Any advice is appreciated.

To HP staff, please let me know if an HP recovery Disk or USB is possible to send to me or where can I purchase it.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your PC?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01492484

Most likely, if the PC is relatively new (less than 2 or 3 years old), it has bitlocker and the drive is locked by bitlocker, and unfortunately I don't know how you unlock it, so unless someone else can help you with that, you would have to clean install W10.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me. 

HP Pavilion 24 -r114

Product No. 3LA02AA#ABA

Before reaching out to you, I did purchase a Windows 10 Repair CD/DVD. I tried to install a brand new Windows 10 but it wouldn't let me...I even bought a new product key for it, but still can't get it working.

As my understanding, the only way that can fix this problem is to unlock the drive...Apparently, which is someone as skillful as you can't even solve it...I am desperate.

If you know anyone knows how to solve this problem, please let me know. It will be highly appreciated.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone offhand that could help, but as I wrote yesterday, it may have something to do with a bitlocker key.

If you created a Microsoft account to login when you first turned on the PC to set up an account, it may have stored the bitlocker key in your Microsoft online account.

See this link for how to retrieve the bitlocker key.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4530477/windows-10-finding-your-bitlocker-recovery-key

The problem is...I don't know how you enter it when the PC isn't working.

Maybe you can enter the key in the advanced troubleshooting section somewhere if you can get to that.

If you can't figure it out, I guess you can always remove and replace the hard drive with a new one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.