Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-)xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my new computer (purchased 18/7/2021) receives and update, a blue screen comes up that says

Boot device not found, please install an operating system on your Hard Disk,

Hard Disk - (3FO)

F2 - System Diagnostics

for more information please visit:

http://hp.com/go/techcentre/startup 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

it has been suggested that I need to have the BIOS reset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you everyone, I have returned the computer to the place I purchased it, they have had their technicians look at it, and they are going to replace the computer, as it was definately faulty.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

With that warning it is typical that either the hard drive has failed or the boot loader has been corrupted.

Have you done the prompt of pressing F2?

If yes, what were the results?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi I tried to, but nothing happened. If I turn the computer off by pressing the on/off button, it restarts and seems OK?

HP Recommended

It seems to be happening when and auto windows update is installed, and I have tried to turn them off, but in windows 10 home apparently you can only pause them. One tech I spoke to seems to think that it may be because I have an external hard drive attached that my computer backs up to every night?

HP Recommended

Now that makes some sense " I have an external hard drive attached that my computer backs up to every night"

Most likely the PC has picked the external to try to boot from and finds no boot loader.

Do the F2 test without the external drive or anything but the keyboard and mouse being connected.

To run the Diagnostics routine without the F2 prompt, Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.
Report back with the results.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you I will try that, tomorrow, it is midnight here in Australia, so concentration is not great at this time. will keep you posted. Fingers crossed that is what it is. Thank You

HP Recommended

Yes, I am interested in how this come out.  If things are OK with the external drive disconnected, after doing the F2 test, also look at the setup menu (boot device menu) F9 and then compare with the external drive connected.

I would like to see a screenshot of the F10 and the F9 screen with the external connected.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@Pepper23 -- suggestion of a BIOS reset

You would be wise to ignore that suggestion, especially as a "first attempt" to fix your computer.

There are far too many posts on this discussion forum where a "failed" BIOS Update has transformed a computer into a "brick".

> When my new computer (purchased 18/7/2021) receives and update, a blue screen comes up that says

Boot device not found, please install an operating system on your Hard Disk, (3FO)

The motherboard assigns a code to each SATA device. 

The first device (disk-drive or CD/DVD) is always "3F0".

The second device is always "3F1".

So, it is the first device, namely your disk-drive, that is being identified.

If I turn the computer off by pressing the on/off button, it restarts and seems OK?

Given that your computer is less than 30 days old, and you have a disk-drive problem, you need to either:

* take the computer back to the store that sold it to you, and exchange it, or,

* contact HP Support, because you are entitled to at least 30 days of free technical support

If you buy a new automobile, and it has a problem, do you try to fix it yourself, or do you go back to the dealer, to exercise the warranty? The dealer's warranty is not "10 minutes or 10 miles". For your computer, exercise the warranty.

HP Recommended

To fix Boot Device Not Found error, you can try the below methods:

1. Perform Hard Reset

2. Reset BIOS default settings

3. Reset Hard Drive

Hope it helps!

HP Recommended

@AndyStuart87 ---

1. Perform Hard Reset

2. Reset BIOS default settings

3. Reset Hard Drive

I doubt that #1 will do anything helpful, given that the disk-drive "intermittently" fails to respond.

I have already stated that #2 is the easiest way to turn the computer into a "brick".  Do not try this.

Since the disk-drive is working properly most of the time, I say "do not try" #3. Also, what do you mean by this suggestion? Do you mean to "wipe" the disk-drive, and reinstall Windows? Or, something else?

Instead, exercise the warranty, since it is a "new" computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.