Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProOne 400 G2
Linux

Hi there

I need to install Linux on my HP PC. It seems in In BIOS legacy settings is blocked. So how can I boot from usb drive with Linux installer? Its only UEFI option in BIOS. Is there a way to enable Legacy boot on it? When I inster bootable Linux drive my dekstop just boot Windows from hdd.

Spoiler
photo_2021-02-21_14-28-53.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@hqqddy 

Sorry, but you basically can't -- boot Linux USB stick.

And even if you could, once you did that, you would then inherit the entire support role for your PC because HP does not provide Linux support.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

What da shame and pity in da same time for HP. Obviously I do not need any support from HP but enable legacy options or just any other help to boot from Linux stick. That's it. I do not need any other support and I don't have anything against HP in that case like ask for drivers or any issue etc. As well as obviously this forced me to ask help from BIOS mods resources.

HP Recommended

Ok I got ya volunteer. What I have. Updated BIOS to latest one. Rewrite usb flash with Etcher. PC dosn't see it and just skiped whie booting. Im tryin rifis later with another usb drive manufacturer.

HP Recommended

@hqqddy 

I already told you that you can't boot from a Linux USB stick.  You need to have UEFI disabled and Legacy (CSM) enabled -- and some of the newer HP PCs simply do not support that.  If you can't make those changes, it does not matter how you format the USB stick, it is not going to work.

HP Recommended

There is exist settings to disable secure boot. I think my friend just incorrectly wrote flash drive. Ill let ya know when he install Linux.

HP Recommended

Ok we've finaly boot from USB stick. From 3rd time. Rewrote it woth rufus in MBR/legacy mode. Have some issues with druvers etc but its not related to this thread and I don't have anythin against HP for this. Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

@hqqddy 

Both Mint and Ubuntu have functions to create Boot USB sticks -- but I have found they do not always work  There is also Unetbootin, but I have not used that lately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.