Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this computer on Amazon used and they appear to sell a lot of them. I have seen this before, but it goes so fast i could not really read it when the computer starts up. Tonight the computer froze and I was able to snap a picture. It says 2011 American Megatrends Inc and then after a menu it says "Federal Bureau Of Prisons." What does that men exactly?

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of windows before I ever saw this message, so what the heck is up this this computer. Lolz

Thank you in advance for any info, hopefully I am not asking my question in the wrong place. If I am, I apologize.

DHumphries
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would expect that message to be an embedded BIOS message.  Assuming this causes a problem with normal operations and it should not be there anyways, it needs to be removed.   Since this came from a "trusted" vendor, it should have been taken care of by them, already.  I would contact the vendor about this and let them care of it.  It is beyond the scope of a normal user to clear this up.  Also, being the BIOS listed is from 2011, that PC is pretty old.

If you had Windows 10 on it from the vendor, then Windows can be reinstalled easy and free, again.  If you had to buy the Windows software, be sure that is discussed, too.  If it was a retail copy of Windows and you have the install media, then not a problem for you as it can be installed again after whatever the seller does whatever they plan to do.  If you have to send this PC back, and it is your Windows, get that cleared up before sending it back.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I would expect that message to be an embedded BIOS message.  Assuming this causes a problem with normal operations and it should not be there anyways, it needs to be removed.   Since this came from a "trusted" vendor, it should have been taken care of by them, already.  I would contact the vendor about this and let them care of it.  It is beyond the scope of a normal user to clear this up.  Also, being the BIOS listed is from 2011, that PC is pretty old.

If you had Windows 10 on it from the vendor, then Windows can be reinstalled easy and free, again.  If you had to buy the Windows software, be sure that is discussed, too.  If it was a retail copy of Windows and you have the install media, then not a problem for you as it can be installed again after whatever the seller does whatever they plan to do.  If you have to send this PC back, and it is your Windows, get that cleared up before sending it back.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank You so very much for your advice, you are exactly right and I will be contacting the seller tomorrow morning. I really appreciate you.

DHumphries
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Please let us know how this situation goes.

I am curious, however.  If this vendor makes any claims about the PC being checked out before the items are sent out, please include that in your discussion with them.  The presence of that message about the "Federal Bureau Of Prisons" should have been removed before reselling.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Go into bios - security - system ids - remove the message under asset tag. That was the fix. 🙂

DHumphries
HP Recommended

Glad to hear it is sorted out.  Did the vendor tell you how to get rid of the message or did you have to figure it out yourself?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

No sir, the vendor sent me a link to a YouTube video showing me how to fix it myself. 

DHumphries
HP Recommended

OK.  Thanks for the info.  Could you post the link, please?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

They will not let me post a link. However, if you go to Youtube and just type in the keywords "how to change ownership tag in hp bios" many videos will pop up to include one by HP. I was sent to the one by AL-Abbas Computers.

Hope that helps.

DHumphries
HP Recommended

That is interesting.  I got an email that contained the link, but when I tried to see the post, it was gone.  I did see your next post.

I watched the video, so it does as you say.  It was good the access was granted.

Glad it worked out for you.  I did not realize it would be that easy.

The forums is not acting properly.  Allot of weird things happening.  anyways, Glad it worked out for you.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.