Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Slimline
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I experienced a hard disk error on a relatively new product which I purchased in December as a Christmas gift, and registered promptly.  A week past the warranty, the device fell over on its side and thereafter would not recognize the hard disk drive.   Because data cables are secure I assume the disk itself is compromised, and  hae been shopping for a replacement disk. I already have a Windows recovery flash drive prepped, but I realized last night that I couldn't find an activation code sticker or anything on the computer. I  know how to retrieve this from a system that will boot, but this one obviously won't.  Since the product is registered,  does HP have that information in their records? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The W10 product key is in the BIOS, so you won't need it to reinstall W10.

Microsoft discontinued the use of windows product key stickers when W8 was released.

Since then, all of the product keys are in the BIOS in an effort to stop the illegal use of OEM product keys on other PC's.

After you install W10, if you would like to view the product key in the BIOS, I have zipped up and attached below, a free utility that will show you the W10 product key.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The W10 product key is in the BIOS, so you won't need it to reinstall W10.

Microsoft discontinued the use of windows product key stickers when W8 was released.

Since then, all of the product keys are in the BIOS in an effort to stop the illegal use of OEM product keys on other PC's.

After you install W10, if you would like to view the product key in the BIOS, I have zipped up and attached below, a free utility that will show you the W10 product key.

HP Recommended

Sweet! Thank you. 🙂 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

@smellincoffee

While @Paul_Tikkanen did provide you a link to a very useful utility, this link is to the forums where they maintain that tool -- and if you use it, you will find the latest version there: https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkeyplus.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for that additional information, WAWood.  🙂

And everyone,  I'm posting this now from the afflicted computer. Installed a new HDD and installed Windows on it with no problems at all. 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.