Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-180st CTO

Hello team. I had HP build this computer in 2015. It has been great but I want to upgrade the processor and any hardware. I would hope this would get the computer up to date. Or should I just purchase a new computer? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BonsaiEd,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Your HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-180st CTO is fitted with the Thimphu motherboard (SSID: 2B4B), and has the Intel Z170 chipset.  The best processor that is compatible with your desktop is the i7-6700K, also verified here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/HP-860-180st/25029.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Your motherboard details are here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-phoenix-860-100-desktop-pc-series/8667927/model/8675047...

Processor upgrades:

BeemerBiker_0-1679360892362.png

If you currenty have a 65 watt cpu, then the 95 watt CPU may require a better cooler.

I have a system with i7-6700.  It runs turbo at 4.0.   The 95 watt "K" turbo is only 4,2 and not worth the additional power requirements IMHO..

What is your current video board and power supply size?

@NonSequitur777 You beat me to it.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

@BeemerBiker,

No worries my friend, these things happen!

@BonsaiEd,

Your desktop is definitely upgradeable, consider this HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-180st CTO User benchmark:

NonSequitur777_1-1679362663735.png

Link: HP 860-180st Performance Results - UserBenchmark.

And with a little effort and investment, you can easily do better.  To that end, please provide the following information: what RAM (brand/part number(s) ) is installed, what drive(s), what graphics card if any. The manual shows that your desktop came with a 600-watt power supply -probably with p/n: 633186-002. It is not clear to me if this PSU comes with 2 x 6-pin PCIe power cables, or 2 x 6+2-pin PCIe power cables -please verify.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.